NEW RELEASE: DAWN FM - THE WEEKND

 If you have had a minor conversation with me, you know I like Taylor Swift. The most oddball piece of my mixture however is my strange addiction to Abel Tesfaye, also known as The Weeknd. I know Aretha is still very angry he cannot spell. It was actually because there was a band with the name already. 

The Weeknd is a bit more of a conceptual writer while mixing personal flares in with the stories. From here we heard the Trilogy mixtapes which started him off, discussing a life of emptiness and drugs. We received Kiss Land, a take on obtaining fame and falling for someone who is less than conventional and also losing them. Starboy, which seemed like a mix of pop flare and a stream of consciousness being unsure of his newfound popularity. After Hours was a GRAMMY. WORTHY. concept piece blending 80s mixes with a storytelling of a confused character who cannot figure his life out. We now tune into Dawn FM, where he states the new concept is a radio-driven purgatory leading you to the afterlife. If you loved all of his early work, throw away your expectations now. Even After Hours. After Hours has only a PINCH of the 80s flare compared to this album. 

I personally cannot wait for the vinyl because this is SUCH an immersive experience. Every song leads into the other seamlessly. There are obvious influences from Depeche Mode, Michael Jackson, even some older style soul-pop. I feel he took everything he's learned of entertaining pop beats and mixed it with the introspective streams of consciousness existing on his earlier work. Mashed together, it made for something I personally feel endeared to in a short period of time. 

The album actually begins with a peaceful beginning interlude titled "Dawn FM". The radio speaking voice is actually the great actor Jim Carrey. The opening is so stellar and really creates a mood for the album. The interludes add to the experience, rather than taking away from them. I normally despise spoken interludes like this in my music. 

I was not prepared for the deeper voice on "Gasoline". I actually had to double check it was actually him. I have never heard him sing in his lower register. I was in shock. The song lyrically seems to reference a sort of internal battle of love, hopelessness, and wanting to still believe in something.

Mister "I'm Heartless" and all sure seems quite humoring begging for affection on "How Do I Make You Love Me?". The song has a sweet sentiment to it and I think it has good single material.

It transitions straight into the extended album version of "Take My Breath", which is honestly superior to the shortened radio edit. The song itself holds up better in the midst of the story and blends so well with the song prior. 

If you have been waiting for the Weeknd to finally unleash his inner Michael Jackson and go full Thriller, look no further. "Sacrifice" is the song you have been waiting for. It also seems to reference his inability to keep lovers because he won't settle down. He keeps choosing the night.

"A Tale by Quincy" is a spoken interlude, by the great Quincy Jones. It seems to be a father figure speaking to their child or such. Nevertheless, it seems quite personal. Abel in his personal life as far as we know was raised by his grandmother actually. This seemed very personal and...uh explains a lot of behavioral choices. 

The switch into "Out of Time" really cuts with this. Now that he's tried to acknowledge his long suffering and deal with those emotions, he wants to make things right. Sadly, he realizes it is too late to get her back. 

We then go to "Here We Go...Again" which I feared a bit since Tyler, the Creator is featured. Thankfully he stayed within the reigns of the song as most features do. This sounds like a Starboy-esque stream of consciousness, but I find the song pretty entertaining.

"Best Friends" continues the somewhat entertaining stream of consciousness. I know it seems odd of me to deem it entertaining, but go listen to "Reminder" on Starboy and tell me you are not amused.

"Is There Someone Else?" takes us back to Kiss Land style vibes, musically and lyrically both. Usually he is the one causing the problems with other people and not loving someone right. 

This transitions to "Starry Eyes", which is a personal favorite of mine on this album. It is kind of sad too, as he wants to help her but also completely understands he messed up so if she kicks him out he deserves the pain.

"Every Angel is Terrifying" is another spoken interlude, that sounds like a terrible radio informercial. He really leaned into the radio station theme.

"Don't Break My Heart" played with the vocal change into the deeper depths I think a little better than Gasoline initially. I think it is smoother here and less distorted. I feel it makes a great 3 song run if you remove the interlude.

"I Heard Your Married" also leads into a bit of complicated but entertaining storytelling. It actually somewhat seems unlike him to back off a taken girl given his prior music, but he did say he's changed for the better.

"Less Than Zero" is pretty gutting after everything on the album. Feeling you cannot escape it and falling backwards, realizing maybe you can't be the best for anyone due to your own inner issues. It sucks.

The album closes with the "Phantom Regret by Jim" closer, a spoken word on what it really means to seek heaven and feel that "eternal bliss"

MUSIC: 9/10 - I personally love the actual beats to the music. They keep you coming back. Even most of the interludes. Some could have worked just a little better.

LYRICS: 10/10 - Typical the Weeknd. If you like him then you will like it now.

Overall: 9/10 - Album is very immersive. I do not think it'll display a good deal of radio love, but I think it will be remembered for just how entertaining and immersive it is. This will be amazing for a vinyl listen. Just get lost in it. 

Comments