DUO ALBUM REVIEW: Glorious - Kate Hudson

 The first review comes from Al, your favorite store owner.

Recently strolling the aisles of a local big box store I ran across this album by Kate Hudson. I

had heard a couple of tracks from it but not the whole album. Being a Hudson fan, at least as an

actress, I decided to try it. Best decision in a long time!

This girl has talent beyond acting, she wrote the entire album along with her fiancé Danny

Fujikawa and lead singer of 4 Non-Blondes, Linda Perry. It’s a masterful blend of blues, rock

and powerful ballads that bring out the very best in Kate’s voice! She brings to mind Stevie

Nicks on some tracks, then Joss Stone on others and even Shania Twain on others.

Hudson confessed she has been writing since she was a little girl. It was during Covid that she

began taking her music a bit more seriously and with a push from Linda Perry she finally took

the final step to create the album. She told NPR’s “All Things Considered” that she was very

afraid of the critics and that is what took her so long to actually put her voice out there on more

than a track or two. You may recall she had sung a couple of songs several years ago with her

role on “Glee”.

The album, titled “Glorious” is simply that! From the country rock chords of “Fire” to the powerful

title track, she does it all with a raw beauty that brings out the passion she has for vocalizing.

And, the content is mature blues, rock. None of that teen angst pop stuff. No, she has written

lyrics that are deep and set in love, losing love and fighting back. Kate will never be one crying

in bed, no, she’s a fighter and her songs prove that she knows how to get back up after

heartbreak.

If you are looking for a true, honest, mature blues/rock album that deals with raw emotions and

an amazing production with NO autotune or other gimmicks, this is the album for you. As corny

as it may sound, the album is just Glorious!

The second comes from Michaela - with all my usual honesty.

I want to preface my review by saying I am not biased about anything to do with Hudson. I have never kept up with actors or actresses very well. I know Hudson was apparently on Glee, but beyond that I cannot honestly tell you anything she has done. I may have seen it - but never put a name to the face. 

She is however, making a name for herself musically. Hesitant to put herself out there despite her family line being musically inclined, perhaps it was good to leave the fire simmering for a period. She came in with a definitive direction for this album. It is cohesive but not so much boredom sets in. A solid debut, although not always my cup of tea. 

The first track "Gonna Find Out" is a bluesy number that is not my favorite. The chorus is a bit annoying to me. It does have a flare of unmistakable confidence though.

"Fire" takes the album in a better direction, although it feels a bit fillery in the mixture of things. Not quite as memorable or as passionate. 

The album really kicks off with "The Nineties", a heartfelt number of lines and running away together. It is infectious and made my ears sink her voice in more.

"Live Forever" continues the heartfelt love while contemplating growing in a complicated world. I appreciate the songwriting not being so specific as some modern songwriting is. It allows for easier placement of yourself into it. 

"Talk About Love" starts off reminding me a bit of a Colbie Caillat song and slips into an infectious pop melody that definitely will get stuck in your head. In the grand scope it is a bit fillery, but it is just sung so well you keep going back like a bag of candy.

"Love Ain't Easy" slips toward country ballads. It feels a little forced. I think the bluesier and soft pop/rock vibe was fitting her better. But hey, if Beyonce can dabble then why not.

"Romeo" feels like a country-esque song as well. I do not mind modern female country but this one did not hit for me. I will say it is a cute song though, I think many will appreciate it more than me.

I think the album kicks back into gear with "Never Made a Moment". A wrenching anthem of uncertainty and moving forward losing someone so close for so long.

"Lying to Myself" goes back toward the soft pop/rock of Talk About Love but feels less infectious and anthemic. It almost feels formulaic and lacking in drive. She sounds better without the generic formulas.

"Not Easy to Know" is sung with such passion. It is very soulful and grabs your string. I think most people can relate to trust issues and not knowing how to let people back in.

Despite my dislike of other tracks, "Glorious" is my least favorite. The song is very clunky. It sounds like there are too many words for the melodies and pulls you out. Just the messiest track here. 

The album closes with "Touch the Light", which I think is a great closer. It brings the album and sonic story together. 

LYRICS: 7/10 - The strong point of this album is the lyricism. I think she has a great thing going. It did not always melodically work, but there's always a place for her sort of style here.

MUSIC: 6/10 - Relatively cohesive between blues, soft pop/rock, and a country flare, sometimes it didn't work for me. I think some of the songs I did not love can easily be loved by others more interested in the genres at hand.

OVERALL: 6/10 - A very solid debut worth taking a listen to. She is not a one trick pony.

Comments