ALBUM OF THE WEEK: Sheryl Crow - Sheryl Crow

 When I was growing up, my first musical intakes came more from my mother's itunes collection. She allowed me to sample her songs and use gift cards to buy my own through her account. So naturally, I had a variety of Hannah Montana, the Cheetah Girls, Sixpence None the Richer, mostly teeny-bopper pop tunes for the average child. This changed when my grandpa opened his giant box of stored CDs for me. Many of them he had over the years for maybe one or two songs, others he loved. He had just about everything by the Beatles, old Goo Goo Dolls, the Gin Blossoms, and more. He told me I could listen to any of them, as long as I took care of them. As a child I will admit to destroying a couple of my grandpa's CDs, and this happened to be one of them.

The only Sheryl Crow I knew before was on the radio, via Soak Up the Sun or The First Cut is the Deepest. So this was my first full listen of a Sheryl Crow CD, and it stuck with me into my adult life as still being one of my personal favorites of hers. This, and Wildflower, I perceive as her best. 

Many may know this album for the two major hits of hers which stemmed from it, "If It Makes You Happy", which I remember my grandfather complaining about being an anthem for people who just want to get drunk, and the other as "A Change Would Do You Good." Nevertheless, this album felt like a shift for Sheryl's career which led her into a new direction, and a more lyrically inspired one.

The album begins with "Maybe Angels", that makes you feel a sense of wondering. It touches upon our regular existential crises, like whether or not there are angels. Ghosts, aliens, people who say they have seen or known things but others say never. It leaves you thinking a bit.

"A Change Would Do You Good" shifts from the existential crisis vibe to one that would remind you of teenage angst in a way, suggesting most things can be helped with a change in scenery or lifestyle. I always enjoyed this track because it seems to me that the concept of needing change is not just something for a teenager's rebellion phase, but something even an adult may need to really enjoy and fulfill life for themselves. Sometimes you just have to go out on a limb.

The next song shifts to those who are not making "change" and instead are trying to make the present work. "Home" seems a song discussing the falling out of a marriage. After being with someone for so long, they've lost the magic and she is reading romance novels to try and remember the feeling. Her heart is full of question, while the other heart is breaking. It is a unique perspective and she wrote it in such a compelling fashion, not lessening the pain her loss of love may bring upon the other individual involved. 

"Sweet Rosalyn" takes a different shift, telling this young person that rather than a change, she needs to settle down and give in. The person seems to be looking for a good time all the time, but when will she sit and have something to believe in? I always found this song less appealing. Maybe a lack of relation, but I think it is a bit of the chorus melody coming off a little grating to me. 

To this day, "If It Makes You Happy" is one of my favorite Sheryl Crow songs. Rather than a drunk's anthem, I always perceived it as taking a shot at emotional apathy. Sometimes, adult life causes us to lose drive and passion. Fall into mundane every day tasks and forget how to love and appreciate the little things of life. She is trying everything she can to make the other person happy, but she can see the loss of enjoyment. 

I am unsure if this song got much respect, but if you have not heard "Redemption Day", you need to. It is meant to be a political song in a sense (which is humoring considering later in her career she would get chastised for the politically natured songs of Detours), but is not so pushy you will feel put out by it. If anything, it is an assessment of the sad state of humanity, where we pillage and destroy each other. Freedom is not free.

I always found it funny she went from "Redemption Day" to "Hard to Make a Stand". I found the title so fitting because right after a song where she's taking a stand on something, she switches to a song about the difficulties of having such perspectives and the difficulty of actually taking a stand on something. They fall seamlessly together. 

The third song you may know from this album is a lesser in popularity single of "Every Day is a Winding Road". I always felt like this song fell a little flat for me lyrically, compared to everything else. I find it forgettable, but it did make for decent radio fodder.

I would like to make a huge statement. If you were one of the people who thought Sheryl Crow's "Detours" had her shifting into politics, then I automatically assume you never actually listened to her music fully. Because we now have "Love is a Good Thing", where Sheryl shifts into politics again promoting a "hippy" kind of love as a song against gun violence. She does all of her acts without seeming performative. Stars of today trying to make political statements should take note of how it was done before. 

I think one of the most profound songs on the album actually is "Oh Marie". It speaks so much in the storytelling without directly discussing a whole story. Somehow surrounded by love, a perfect life, Marie is broken and lonely. Sometimes broken people tend to forget to look at what is in front of them as well, pushing away those who actually care about their happiness and well-being. Oh Marie, what about me?

I found the actual music to "Superstar" to be so cool. I remember this being one of my favorites to listen to. The song itself to me seems to discuss the way people are ready to just tear down stars and enjoy the downfall of another person. 

"The Book" seems to have another take on fame, from the perspective of someone being used by someone famous. After a sweet romance, she is discarded and gets to read about them in their book. It would be an uncomfortable feeling. 

The album closes with "Ordinary Day" which somehow feels so fitting for the album being brought together. We were told all these stories of people in their every day lives, human struggles in love and loss. You question if any of it even matters, it is just another day on earth.

Lyrics: 9/10 - I love Sheryl's poignant lyrics to this album. I've always found it one of her most profound pieces of work with a great deal of storytelling and authenticity. Whether you agree or disagree with her perspectives, you can understand where she is coming from.

Music: 8/10 - While it isn't particularly original guitar riffs, there's few songs I felt the instrumentation took away from the songs. If any, it added a great deal to all of them. The simplicity fits the style of song being sung as well.

Overall: 8/10 - This is one of my personal favorite albums, my main favorite from Sheryl Crow. Perhaps it is the nostalgia of it being my first Sheryl album, or perhaps it really is that good. Few albums had the same level of authenticity and boldness as this one did from her. She was fearlessly real and took on unique perspectives that are often hard for people to capture in music. I think a great line to take from the album, from Oh Marie, "need is love, love is need". 

Comments