NEW RELEASE: Human - The Veronicas

 I was a huge Veronicas follower from their debut album, The Secret Life Of...

However they disappointed me with their shift away from the pop/rock style with their second album and leading single "Untouched". Which by the way, they have so many songs immensely better than Untouched. I however, have struggled to enjoy them since their debut album despite continuing to check every new release. I didn't enjoy the earlier release in "Godzilla" either. But nevertheless I am gonna try this one too!

"Without You" is a beautiful song, albeit it feels weird to have as an opener. It does leave me with higher expectations upon the rest because this song is gorgeous. 

"Lies" is definitely a change from Without You. I am not sure I really enjoy this one as much. 

"Movie Star" is better than Lies. I think I don't like it when they do that whole dance pop thing so heavily. I like their slower songs. But they added vocal editing to this song in the verses that I absolutely hate.

"LA" is telling me I am sadly not going to enjoy this release either. They have such potential and they keep destroying it... 

"On Your Side" is definitely better. I wish they would realize they sound amazing without any vocal editing at all. It is very poppy as well though. 

"Out of Time" goes back to more editing and dance-pop I don't enjoy from them.

"Think of Me" is okay. I kind of wish they had a song on here that sounded different again.

"Jealous" has a melody that does not fit them very well. I don't know why they keep leaning into this dance-pop sound. They are not going to recapture Untouched's success and it wasn't that great to begin with.

"Biting My Tongue" sounds like a complete change from track 1, going from I'm better without you to not being able to live without them. Honestly, pick a cohesive theme too guys.

Alright, I guess I am going to get two good songs. "Goodbye" is actually pretty good. It blends some of the dance pop with their other elements and is slower in places. 

Anytime a song is called "Life of the Party" it better be the Weeknd or I know I'm gonna hate it. This is no different.

The album closes with "Human", which is about as dull and unimpressive as the rest of this album. I am glad I didn't preorder it.

Lyrics: 4/10 - A lot of the content and songs sound the same.

Music: 3/10 - Why don't they go back to a sound that works?

Overall: 3/10. It is just radio fodder. Without You and Goodbye are the stand out tracks. Just go download them. The rest is forgettable at best. 

Comments