NEW RELEASE: The Marias - CINEMA

 I will say I will be quite surprised, even frightened, if the best thing I can find from the drops this week is...Doja Cat. No disrespect to her really. It just surprises me. Nevertheless, I heard a LOT of hype from The Marias. I have no idea who they are, apparently an indie-pop band with a lovely Puerto-rican lead singer in Maria Zardoya. I decided I would try it, as I enjoy a good indie-pop band.

The album begins with an instrumental in "Just a Feeling", that actually has an old movie soundtrack sound to it. It is a dramatic intro, which feels so fitting since the album is called Cinema. I love how they seemed to have an idea already. So many don't think conceptually like that anymore.

"Calling U Back" immediately makes me think to Billie Eilish. The lead singer and the actual production sounds so much like "When We All Fall Asleep Where Do We Go?" in distortion. It isn't bad, it just does not feel unique right now.

"Hush" follows the exact same elements and vibe, but I find it done with more passion and enjoy it far more than the first track. I wonder who came first here though. 

"All I Really Want is You" is a little slow for my taste. The vocals don't have a lot of draw and it would be very forgettable to me.

Now comes another instrumental break in the from of "Hable con Ella", which has another old school cinema movie sound. I like that they thought of this, but the album itself sounds NOTHING like this jazzy band music really.

"Little by Little" falls into the same category as "All I Really Want is You". She has a very nice easy listening voice though. 

"Heavy" I am not sure worked at all. It isn't even so much outside my taste. I don't think the melody of her singing fits the music entirely and it bugs me a lot on listening to this.

"Un Millon" is a track in spanish! Woohoo! No idea what she is saying! Honestly, she sings beautifully in spanish though. It is one of the better tracks on the album. 

"Spin Me Around" is okay. I feel like the lead singer lacks passion in her voice when she sings. It makes me wonder who writes the lyrics in the band. Because she doesn't sing like she expressively feels any of it. And that is a huge portion of what draws me into songs in general.

Oh my god here we go why couldn't the ENTIRE album be "The Mice Inside My Room"? This gave me actual chills. It is haunting, it is intriguing and produced beautifully. Stand out track for SURE. 

"To Say Hello" is actually done very well too! Two great tracks in a row right here! 

"Fog as a Bullet" is another song in spanish that is also quite beautiful. They brought her voice more to the front which is nice, as some of the songs make her sound far in the back.

The album closes with "Talk to Her", which seems to fall more into the concept than anything, being mostly a strong instrumental with a speaking audio. 

Lyrics: 5/10 - I did not find most of it compelling lyrically.

Music: 6/10 - I think there was stronger music but poor execution of the production as a whole.

Overall: 5/10. There are some stand out tracks. I don't think the entire album is worth it, but it shows some potential. I wish the lead singer would find her niche within vocals because right now she's hiding in there somewhere still. 


Comments