NEW RELEASE: Nowhere Generation - Rise Against

 My original introduction to Rise Against was "September's Children", a song speaking about issues of teen suicides. I knew from here, they have a similar vein to Rage Against the Machine. I personally like Rise Against better, albeit I am selective about my listening of both. Rise Against does not have as much "heavy screaming" or strong curses. Their lyrics are more an attempt to convince you of the gravity of the issue, which makes their work more compelling compared to anything I heard from Rage Against the Machine. If you want rage, choose Rage, if you want a story and to understand more, listen to Rise. 

The lead track, "Numbers", let me know they have not veered from their regular social commentaries, as a classic running of American allegiance music veers off. The guitar is immediately a little softer here, before shifting into their vein of punkish rock. The song isn't bad but, I felt he was struggling to get all the words in the lines if that makes sense. The lyrics are worthy of an album opener, it seems to introduce the way many today are seeing things. "What will we allow?" The bridge is more poignant. I wish they did more of the song like ending. Nevertheless, I have never felt Rise Against was being performative with their statements.

"Sudden Urge" should have switched with "Numbers". "Sudden Urge" references rage and anger which fit the sound of "Numbers" more but this song has a calmer melody that would have worked better with "Numbers". The lyrics do not capture me as much. 

I never enjoy being the person to suggest a band was looking for radio clout with a song, but "Nowhere Generation" sounds like the typical pop/rock song written for radio airplay. It almost grosses me out to hear Rise Against doing it. I mean with a band name like that you should be rising above this kind of thing. Come on guys! 

"Talking to Ourselves" is the first song on the album I genuinely enjoy. I feel like the melody works with the music, and the lyrics speak very loudly to many perspectives. Sometimes when trying to reach someone, especially with how polarized everything is, feels like screaming into the void, talking to ourselves. 

I had to laugh at a title of "Broken Dreams, Inc." as it made me think back to the Gorillaz "Feel Good Inc.". The songs have no similarities by the way. I enjoy this track as well. It makes a statement about current issues without being too pushy about what you should feel about it. 

This album just keeps getting better as it goes down with the softer song "Forfeit". This song could be an ode to any cause, anyone just trying to get through. Sometimes you just need to hear something simpler like this, a walking with you kind of song. 

"Monarch" had a harder sound but it actually fit wells. It does not hit as hard as Forfeit, which I think could make it a forgettable song compared to it. That is sometimes the negative of having a decent song come after a great one. 

I am here for these poignant but powerful lyrics Rise is showing in this album. The way he starts the verse sounds disjointed but in this case I actually appreciate it. I think he is trying to make us think deeper about what lyrics are being sung. It is a call to action, don't wait for something better, MAKE something better. That has power itself. 

"Sooner or Later" reminded me "Nowhere Generation" is on the album because both sound like campy songs that could be on radio easily and appeal to the mainstream. I guess bands have to make money - so I'll try to forgive them for trying to adjust their sound accordingly. 

"Middle of a Dream" has a pretty typical Rise Against riff, but it sounds a bit disjointed and he's singing a little too campy for the melody he chose. 

The album closer, "Rules of Play", is a great closer that I think brings all the songs of the album together well. It explains a lot of frustrations I think we can all relate to about now. We are supposed to play but no one offered us the rulebook. 

LYRICS: 8/10 - Rise Against always has pretty solid lyricism albeit it fell a little flat on this one in a few places.

MUSIC: 6/10 - the music occasionally does not fit the songs, but overall it is okay. Nothing spectacular. If you like regular radio friendly pop/rock or you've been a Rise Against fan, you're not hearing much new here. I wish they had stuck to their sound a bit more in places. 

OVERALL: 6/10 - the album is alright. It has a pretty strong middle but falls flat on the beginning and end. I would still recommend giving it a listen - they still have strong songs on this release worth looking into. 

Comments