NEW RELEASE: Solar Power - Lorde

 NOTE: When a song is quite BIG and highly anticipated I do feel it necessary to review a single track.

Fourscore and seven years ago...just kidding. It has not been THAT long since we last heard a new song from indie pop darling Lorde. I will immediately notify you I may disagree with you strongly on several things.

1. I thought Pure Heroine was an absolutely amazing indie pop album that captured the emotions of things beyond her years.

2. I thought Melodrama was the biggest lyrical regression I had seen, and I was downright angry about it and to this day I don't think it deserves half the accolades it got. She went from making poignant discussions of introverted teen life to being an "adult" by having an album that sounds like one bad rave party and I am not sure I forgive her yet for being such a sell out and being told she was art for it. I haven't forgiven the critics either. GET OUT!

Now that you have bore my 100% livid rant about Melodrama which I've rarely had the guts to give, I will now tell you about her new song, Solar Power. It was not meant to be released yet but a leaker got hold of it and they moved the release abruptly. 

I want you to remember the exact weight of the anger I felt about Melodrama being such a sell out to high life hollywood songwriting before I say that

Somehow, Lorde found a way to disappoint me more than Melodrama did.

Yes, Melodrama and all of the flaws within it still had something of emotion. Some trueness to perhaps a moment she was having in her life as a young adult and perhaps I could try to vibe with the mental age regression upon becoming a darling of hollywood. But this?

This is pure radio fodder garbage and it never looked worse on her as she isn't fit to wear it. Imagine the same person who wrote "we'll never be royals" now calling herself a prettier Jesus.... Just...soak it in right now guys.

No I won't. I'm puking it back up and wondering who said YES to this. It is such a painful slap to try and get song of the summer, all the lyrics referring to beaches and summer bliss and hating winter. Did you learn nothing from watching penguins in Antarctica? 

I am starting to think Lorde was a one and done for me. This is nothing short of terrible. If any critics come out raving about this song someone please tie them up and give them a new set of brain cells. 

Lyrics: 3/10 - Just no.

Music: 2/10 - It doesn't fit her!

Overall - It doesn't deserve a clear rating. If you cannot tell that I hate it by now, you need to re-read the review. 


Comments