NEW RELEASES: Beabadoobee - Our Extended Play EP/ Ed Sheeran - Bad Habits / SINGLES review

 I heard "Care" on the radio, and realized Beadadoobee, despite barely being able to say her name, was a pretty good singer. She captured a lot of good elements of female pop/rock of the early 2000s with her album "Fake It Flowers". So when I saw the new EP, I was naturally very interested.

It is a 4 song EP and she stayed within the vein of Fake It Flowers in production and sound. I wonder if these are Fake It Flower outtakes in a way actually. Most of the songs fall into the sort of silly love songs category as a few slow songs on her last album did. 

"Last Day on Earth" is my personal least favorite of the 4 as the lyrics don't really capture me and it sounds like the lesser of even the lows on Fake It Flowers.

I absolutely loved "Cologne", the sound goes a bit more to "Charlie Brown" or "Care". I think the lyrics fit better than the first song.

"Animal Sounds" follows a slow guitar ballad. I think it sounds better than some of the slow ballads on Fake It Flowers. It also reminded me a bit of Collective Soul's "The World I Know" musically. It feels like a song possibly written to her family, who she has struggled to get along with in her life.

"He Gets Me So High" is the closer and is another a cutesy love song. It sounds like she's hoping this guy will finally choose to be with her rather than just friends.

Lyrics: 4/10 - Her lyrics are always a bit more simplistic, she tends to lean more into the sound of things.

Music: 6/10 - I feel like it is a mixed bag. I liked 2 of the songs really strongly and the other 2 were more like music you can leave on in the background. 

Overall: 5/10 - I loved her debut album more, but this is just an EP!

We now move on to the anticipated comeback of Ed Sheeran. Yes, as I joke, the unmade bed. Frankly I have no idea what to call that music video as it didn't make a lick of sense. If you are used to his guitar driven ballads, this song definitely isn't that. It follows some of the current euro-pop trends actually and it is VERY catchy on the chorus. I can see the song getting old in 15 minutes but for now I'll admit I absolutely love the vibe of it. Excited for whatever his next release is, as I loved Divide. 

Lyrics: 6/10

Music: 8/10

Overall: 7/10 

So to start this next part off, I have never enjoyed Bastille. Especially not Happier. Because it sounds off. His voice sounds off with the music and it'll drive me insane till the end of time. Nevertheless, I respected Bastille's original sound and stand out lead vocalist. His voice is absolutely recognizable and you know you're listening to Bastille.

Their new single, "Distorted Light Beam", will probably disappoint their long time fans. It is a...pop song. A pretty pure pop song. His voice doesn't fit in pop music. I will attempt to walk away kindly at that. Go back to what works guys... 1/10.

Now on to some serious album reviews, because we got some big drops today! 


Comments