NEW RELEASES: Jordi - Maroon 5

 Well I just took down Ruth B., Lorde's new single all in one go and somehow decided after that Lorde song I guess I could survive the new Maroon 5 release. Yes, I phrased it as survival.

I have been a long time Maroon 5 creeper. I would never call myself a fan of sorts. I have skimmed every release they've done for the maybe 2 or 3 good songs they put on an album. But even now they've become fewer and far between. With grating singles "Girls Like You" and "Memories", Adam Levine has really reduced himself to some sort of pop melody that is old before it even got started. As a matter of fact, it'd be more frightening if a Maroon 5 release outside of Songs about Jane was actually worthy of respect. It might make me give them expectations and like...want something GOOD out of them. 

Also the reality is I saw pre-release that Remedy includes Stevie Nicks, and where that beautiful queen of musical excellence goes I follow. End of story. I was almost embarrassed I was following her to the new Maroon 5 album though.

The album starts with Beautiful Mistakes (featuring new main rap girl Megan Thee Stallion!), and I am going to shamelessly admit this is a good catchy pop song that I enjoyed. It is probably the first Maroon 5 single I have enjoyed since Animals. Sugar and everything after that...pained my ears. A lot.

Okay, okay. "Lost" is a good pop song too. At least to me. The melody is actually not grating and it actually sounds like it has a little feeling to it. Adam Levine anymore sings lazy emotionless uninspired and like well, he's been a bit LOST....

Oh okay "Echo" takes us back to bad Maroon 5. Remembering why I hate them now. Also they got the 3rd verse rapper of 2020-2021 known as Blackbear. He did one counteraction to Hot Girl Summer and now everyone wants this guy. Come on guys! 

Alright whew okay I was scared I was gonna enjoy this album for a minute. Levine returns to his excellency of uninspired lyricism and sounding like he should retire as per normal since anything after V with "Lovesick"!

Ah the song I got drug here for, "Remedy"! Where my favorite musical queen is reduced to...a poorly chosen background vocal? STEVIE YOU ARE WORTH SO MUCH MORE THAN THIS. YOU DON'T NEED ADAM LEVINE TO BE RELEVANT. Although she made the song less grating since he harmonized with her. Everything she touches is automatically better. 

And with "Seasons" I'm feeling like Adam Levine attempted to be the Weeknd and listen. Adam Levine is not the Weeknd. There's one Abel Tesfaye and I'd prefer there only be one. I'll leave this mistake at that.

...no. We don't need "One Light" Adam. Turn it out. Turn out all the lights, leave the studio, and realize you have run out of ideas. This album gets worse as it goes.

Can the great grammy award winning H.E.R. make Maroon 5 tolerable in the same light of Stevie Nicks for a few minutes? Let me put it this way - he shouldn't have let her have a solo. She sings a million times better than him. 

I shall toss Nobody's Love out the nearest window. More uninspired Maroon 5 pop garbage circa Payphone.

Maroon 5 singing about Novocaine to seem cool enough to sing with Juice WRLD? Thanks I will go listen to Fall Out Boy's "Novocaine", 100x better than this. 

I wish "Memories" could have stayed in my subconscious undesirable memories. Now I have to remember when I couldn't escape this song. Oh this is the end of the album! HALLEJUAH! Wait I thought this album was supposed to be inspired by how much he missed this guy the song was about...instead it sounds like it was about Adam Levine trying to keep or get girls. Oh, that's every Maroon 5 album. I guess the memory of what he was trying to do didn't stick around. 

Lyricism: 3/10 - Listen, Maroon 5 is not exactly known for substantial substance.

Music: 4/10 - If you enjoy radio fodder you'll like a few songs.

Overall: 3/10 - Hey, at least they finally had 2 good songs again. I am depressed for Stevie though. Darling, don't reduce yourself to an Adam Levine background vocal. 


Comments