SINGLE REVIEWS: New Releases

 Hey guys! This Friday did not give me as many new releases to work with, which means I can offer a few shortings of some newly released single! 

BANKS - The Devil

Banks is very hit and miss with me. Thanks to Lil Nas X, I suppose the "satanic panic" is cool again so we have her new song and video considering herself the "devil". It appears to reference more relationship centered things, including how fast she goes. The melody itself is interesting but I don't feel like her voice really fits what she was trying to do here specifically. 3/10 from me.

Zella Day - Girls

I discovered Zella Day through an itunes single of the week with "Hypnotic". Her first album "Kicker" was a sort of alternative/pop that I loved. She weirdly decided to move to psychedelic and vocal distortion that does not sound as good. This song has the same vocal distortions and weak lyricism of the rest of her newer things which I am not interested in. Plus, I cannot help feel the song is an intentional attempt to grab some clout for Pride month. Stop your fake cares musicians. 2/10

Everytime I Cry - Ava Max

I am the first to admit I love Ava Max's debut. I realize her pop sound is relatively dated, going back to early 2010s circa Lady Gaga and Katy Perry, but I loved that sound of pop. Less distortions, smoother, a very easy to follow melody. Catchy hooks. This song is a little lyrically subpar compared to others I've enjoyed from her, but it is still ear-catching enough to warrant a decent listen. 5/10

Butter - BTS

This song has actually been out for a decent amount of time. I think they should go back to singing in Korean, so maybe we cannot tell how bad the lyrics they come up with are. The melody actually is not that bad at all. I enjoy the actual musical aspect better than I did Dynamite. However, the lyrics are so cringe-worthy I won't return to it. 4/10

Thot Shit - Megan Thee Stallion

Oh yes guys - in case you didn't know I CAN occasionally listen to rap. Very little and far between. Megan's a new face in the game and has gained momentum swiftly. To say, I think Nicki Minaj's biggest competition is Doja Cat as Doja is using that pop/rap sound more. Megan's sound is more along the lines of the pure rap of Saweetie or Cardi B. I think Megan's single is not much an upgrade from the WAP collaboration. Her songs like "Shots Fired" or "Savage" are better than this. This song ends up repetitive, unappealing, and doesn't make a lot of sense. 1/10

Lil Bit - Nelly & Florida Georgia Line

If anyone remember how far back this was, Nelly originally starred on a remix of "Cruise" by Florida Georgia Line. Now to be clear, I regularly hate Florida Georgia Line. Their lyrics are often cringey and the lead singer's voice usually grates my ears. For some god-forsaken reason this song works as a catchy pop/country tune and I actually liked it. Ugh, my skin crawls just saying it. But it really is a nice summer track just to chill, without being too raunchy or anything. So easy ear-candy. 7/10. 

Let me know if there's any new singles you guys have been jamming to! 

Comments