TIMEWARP: The Queen is Dead - the Smiths

 This album has so many accolades. Like being considered one of, if not, the greatest album of all time by many critics. I have seen it in our store a few times and saw it fly off the shelf. It occurred to me I had never actually listened to The Smiths. So I realized in a similar vein I needed to fix that.

Upon my beginning to listen, I realized the lead sounds a bit like a male Sinead O'Connor. The vocal inflections are quite similar, especially when thinking of "Stretched on Your Grave". His voice is quite pleasant in that sense. 

"The Queen is Dead" starts off a bit stranger than I expected but interesting enough drew me in as it went on. The vocals and delivery feel filled with some sort of dark foreboding in itself. The music seems like a mix of punkish rock and the new wave sound of the 80s which creates a unique vibe as well.

"Frankly, Mr. Shankly" actually sounds like it could be in a movie musical. The messaging is kind of humorous in itself as well, saying the 9-5 is corroding him and he wants to be famous. Fatal fame. I did not enjoy this arrangement as much as the first track but I admire the musicality within it. It shows Morrissey is no one trick pony.

The next track, "I Know It's Over" is a very chilling and haunting track. Morrissey has a way to make his voice have this chilling, ghostly delivery that feels like you're listening to the foreboding of a pleading dying man. The song is gorgeous. 

The next song is a bit simpler, "Never Had No One Ever", and one thing I love musically is someone taking lyrics that seem not so deep and delivering them in such a way that you absolutely feel it. This is when music hits such a high - it seems so basic but is delivered in a way that gives you chills. 

I think because Morrissey is so good at the dark and foreboding tracks, I don't enjoy the upbeat ones as much. "Cemetry Gates" is not bad. It just does not grab me the way the last 2 songs did. I think it is interesting to hear him mention old poets though. Makes me think of how Taylor Swift's "The Lakes" follows almost a similar concept as written. I wonder if she was inspired by this song?

"Bigmouth Strikes Again" is interesting, as the lyrics make me think more of punk music but it certainly is not done in a punk way. I love this one musically as well. The riff is so addicting and I could see this song playing on repeat very easily. 

"The Boy With a Thorn in His Side" almost takes a musical-esque quality again, as he sheds some of his frustration with the music industry and struggling to find success. It does not strike me as much, not sure I am the biggest fan of the delivery here.

Speaking of a punk vibe, "Vicar in a Tutu" comes off like a punk song period. I don't think I enjoy it as much as I enjoy the other tracks. It is certainly quite strange to say the least. 

"There is a Light That Never Goes Out" is my kind of love song. Hey if a double decker bus hits us it is my privilege to die by your side! It goes back to a delivery more enjoyable. I think I enjoy Morrissey doing slower songs rather than upbeat ones. 

The album closes with "Some Girls are Bigger than Others", which somehow feels like a fair closer to the album since the album itself is quite strange lyrically in content. It comes off a bit cryptic of what is actually means. Is he speaking of females shape? Their status and class? Their fame? I suppose you could take it anyway you want - as several songs on this album. 

Lyrics: 6/10 - I think the lyricism is simple but fits many of the songs. Other time the lyricism falls a bit flat and I feel they could do something stronger.

Music: 7/10 - The melodies fit the songs so well. The sound vibes like a sort of mix of 10,000 Maniacs and Sinead O'Connor. Morrissey has a wonderful delivery on most of the tracks. 

Overall: 7/10 - I can see myself returning to the album. I do not think it is the greatest thing of all time but I do see why it is so well-loved by the musical community. 

Comments