ALBUM OF THE WEEK: The Bitter Truth - Evanescence

 I need an excuse to go back now that I have this blog and review SOMETHING by Evanescence. They are by far one of my favorite bands and I was very excited for their new album to come out. They hadn't released anything completely new since 2011's self-titled! (In 2017 they did a reworking of some old songs called Synthesis. I prefer to forget about it because I feel like they ruined every song reworking it.)

I previously had chosen Fallen as an album of the week as well, but it was before I had a review blog! I figure I will return to it at some point. Nevertheless, we are focusing on 2021's "The Bitter Truth". It was supposed to come out in 2020, but due to COVID, many of their plans got pushed back. If Fallen was your favorite Evanescence album, you may be a little disappointed. This returns them to the sound waves of "The Open Door", which so happens to be my favorite Evanescence album. In case you were unaware, there's going to be a special vinyl release of The Open Door for RSD July 17th drop as well! You may want to snatch that up! 

I admit, the Bitter Truth did not grab me as much as other Evanescence albums, BUT, I think it still had a great showing and some really strong stand outs. I did want to discuss something though. Some have suggested their new producer makes Amy sound like she is in a "bubble" moreless. I see it more as her voice being used as an instrument. This same vocalization existed on The Open Door. I don't know why they think it is JUST this producer. I think he does a fine job. 

The album begins with "Artifact/the Turn" which works as a very cool intro. It flows seamlessly into the next song, "Broken Pieces Shine". I love how haunting both sound. If you listen to the album, you would think they were not two separate songs but the same one. It is very cool. 

We switch over to "The Game is Over", a bit harder on the guitars. The lyrics don't stand out as much to me but I like the track instrumentally. 

"Yeah Right"...I tried...hard to listen to this one over and over to try and get it to grow on me. I just don't like it. I don't like any of the experiments they did with it. I hope they don't lean into that vibe anymore.

The good news is, after "Yeah Right", the album gets better! We turn to "Feeding the Darkness", which straight up sounds like it could've BEEN on the Open Door. So much stronger. The instrumentals and her voice work so well together and lyrics don't bore me.

"Wasted on You" is another strong track. I love a good Amy Lee ballad vocal. It is where her voice shine so beautifully. The song really grabs the feeling of being lost in love and losing it all at once.

"Better Without You" is a bit harder and darker. She takes on those who tried to keep her from getting where she is today. I absolutely love the chorus. I could replay that over and over.

"Use My Voice" is intended to be the "political" song of the album, but thankfully is not this up front political nature. It can reference far more than politics, it is about rising above and using your voice to stand up for yourself. 

"Take Cover" piggybacks off "Use My Voice" as sounding like she is coming after those who she is raising her voice against. She will be who they made her out to be. Now that's some power.

"Far From Heaven" is in the vein of "My Immortal" and by far my favorite track on the album. It references the death of one of her loved ones and feeling the difficulties of grief. 

The next track gets back to the harder rock with "Part of Me", which is a typical power anthem of surviving and getting through. I don't mind it, it just doesn't stand out.

The album closer is "Blind Belief", which I think would be the more poignant political song than Use My Voice. Nevertheless, I enjoy the song but the chorus falls a little flat to me. The album has a lot of good pieces but I'm not sure how well they meshed together.

Lyrics: 6/10 - I found the content itself to be weaker compared to what I am used to from them. 

Music: 8/10 - I loved some of the instrumentals. Many songs have bits you just want to return to.

Overall: 7/10 - It is not bad but a bit underwhelming for a comeback. If you like Evanescence, you WILL enjoy the album. I just feel some of the songs could've packed more of a punch to keep me interested. The album is worth it for Wasted on You and Far From Heaven alone though. 



Comments