NEW RELEASE: Happier Than Ever - Billie Eilish

 Billie Eilish's highly anticipated and somewhat scrutinized new release is finally here. Happier Than Ever surprised me first by not being a streaming grabber with a bunch of low quality 2 minute pop songs that are catchy for a week before they topple off the chart. Matter of fact, my hopes were up as I enjoyed the pre-album singles outside of My Future. 

To be honest, if your favorite Billie songs are her upbeat ones like Bad Guy or Therefore I Am, this album is going to bore you to death. Now for someone who enjoys slower, more authentic work, this album will appeal. It takes much of the balladry of When We All Fall Asleep Where Do We Go, the upbeat perks of Don't Smile at Me, and adds a new twist.

The album begins with slow track "Getting Older", meant to discuss the weight of some of the things which have happened she does not want to speak about. It comes off a bit depressive, suggesting everything we love will bore us one day...

The next track "I Didn't Change My Number" grabbed me a bit lyrically because I can relate to having all these people texting you how to be. And then changing who you answer, how you answer. It is a short but meaningful track.

"Billie Bossa Nova" takes a different beat but the lyrics are a bit amusing. Finneas discussed how they made it up about how they were trying to escape paparazzis and instead made it a secret love affair. The song comes off classy but sensual, very nice.

"My Future" within the scope of the entire album sounds better. It makes sense with the story and self-development existing within the lyrical content.

"Oxytocin" has a beat I do not think fits the song. She's singing her typical slow soft way but that little beat just annoys me. I think the chorus is just really cool though. The song weirdly makes me think of T.A.T.U. It musically sounds like something they did later in their career.

"Goldwing" surprised me for the sort of...religious connection on it. Telling the angel to go on home. It is unclear who the short song is directed at. But a very beautiful short track instrumentally.

Billie got some heat for the line in "Lost Cause" including you got no job, but if you read the lyrical context it is obvious she is talking about someone who thinks they are all that but takes no responsibility and is immature. I personally love the track, bite me critics.

"Hailey's Comet" is a beautiful little love song and really captures how someone who may be distrusting can also fall into love and not know what to do.

"Not my Responsibility" is actually a recorded version of the body related dialogue she was praised for on the tour. 

"Overheated" sounds like Billie discussing her frustration with the paparazzi photos where she was told she has a wine mother's body and was shamed by everyone for looking...normal. I don't blame her for having a few tracks being upset by it, considering how brutal the industry is and her known history of self-esteem issues.

The next track "Everybody Dies" in some ways is dark but also a sort of warm hug. Saying it will be okay and you won't be alone.

I personally love "Your Power", considering my own personal experiences in play I can relate a lot to the lyrics. It is so easy to use and take advantage of someone. 

"NDA" is by far my favorite. The cool instrumentation, the cryptic lyrics. I love how it comes after Your Power because NDA feels like taking the power BACK.

"Therefore I Am" was everywhere albeit of the songs I think it is a little weaker now. I still like it. I find it really cool though that NDA seamlessly flows into this track when listening to the album. 

"Happier Than Ever" is such a cool track. It starts as a slow ballad and turns into a pop/rock song and I am HERE for it. Billie can do an album of that, I'd be fine with it.

"Male Fantasy" is the closer and it is a proper way to end the album. I'd say because it sums up the difficulty in the themes, and how these things still exist but has some hope blended in.

Lyrics: 9/10 - I love most of the album lyrically. Relate to some of it. 

Music: 7/10 - I feel this is where the album may fall a little flat in places. Her production and variation is somewhat limited in this album. I like most of it but can see how some may be feeling Finneas limits her stylistically. 

Overall: 9/10 - Damn it I like it. More than I have any other Eilish release. It feels real and emotional. I highly recommend grabbing it.

Comments