NEW RELEASES: Single Reviews

 Hello and welcome to my mildly entertaining Friday reviews where I either like it or I rip it into confetti paper shreds. This week has some more work cut out for us. 

To start us off, Alessia Cara has not one but two new single drops! To be clear, I loved Alessia's debut. I did not like a single track off her sophomore album and wondered what happened. 

We start off with "Sweet Dream", which is an attempt at an insomniac anthem but it could make you hit snooze pretty easily. It sounds as uninspired as her last album and the lyrics seem kind of cheesy and cliche. 2/10. Music isn't horrible. 

Now I hope the album sounds like "Shape shifter", because the soulful influence with the good lyrics really grabs me in a similar vein to her debut. Tracks like "Here" and "Four Pink Walls". This one made it worth my time to check in. 8/10. 

Imagine being an artist called "soccer mommy", but that's what this indie artist did. "Rom Com 2004" isn't bad, but I really hate the distorted drops. It takes you out of the song and just kinda ruins the 90s Matador girl vibe that was going. Damn it! Leave it alone not everything needs some poppy drop. 5/10.

Shakira is back! Shakira can be hit or miss but I always look. This track is titled "Don't Wait Up" and I'm hoping it captures her regularly great sassy debut singles. 

Okay sorry had to double check this wasn't a new Shakira. Who decided Shakira needed that much electronic vocal editing!?! Who thought filtering out her Columbian accent on this level sounded good. -10. Try again. I'm gonna pretend this song never happened. 1/10.

Normani has finally served us with something that isn't Motivation. Don't get me wrong, it was a great catchy track but I wanted to see what more she has to offer. There's a Cardi B feature on the track also. 

It's not bad if you enjoy sexy RnB that sounds like every other sexual RnB songs...like all of them.. 3/10 for trying. Uninspired and boring. 

Conan Gray has released new single "People Watching" and his work lately has made him worth a listen so I'll take another dip. It was so worth it. Beautiful track and great vocals. Lyricism that really catches. 10/10. 

I could grab a few other bad singles but we have some actual albums this week and I'm ready to destroy and prop up some top releases. See you there. 





Comments