ALBUM OF THE WEEK: October - U2

 My introduction to U2 was actually my grandfather's CD of Achtung Baby, and I found it pretty cool. Then I am sure many remember the fiasco that the new iTunes came with Songs of Innocence standard edition and everyone was mad. Except me, because I actually liked it. But it made me more interested in U2. I did not really know how to start with them. We then had our regular, Paulo, mention listening to the discography front to back to see how U2 developed. I thought it was a cool idea, so somehow I ended up with every U2 cd in my bedroom. 

October is actually the second studio album (the first being Boy), and it is a solid development. Many artists struggle with what many call the "sophomore slump", where after a debut, they appear to have run out of solid ideas. While critics did not enjoy this album as well, I equate it to them disliking the theme of the album itself. Upon joining a Christian study, the band members questioned whether you could successfully be a Rock and Roll star and a good Christian, almost causing the band to break up. Secondarily, some of the original lyrics while in progress were stolen, and the band had to improvise on some of the tracks to finish the album on time. All this considering, I actually think October is a stronger, more compelling piece than Boy. 

The first song, "Gloria", actually brings up someone struggling to sing and find their footing, calling upon God to help them loosen their lips. It takes a lot of courage in general to be a performer, but to speak of the Lord as a performer, is much harder with the scrutiny that can come from it.

"I Fall Down" appears to carry a different story, of a Julie who can't seem to figure out how to keep going. It seems to try and take her emotion yet also console her.

"I Threw a Brick Through a Window" not so ironically makes me think of Pink Floyd. The song has to have taken some instrumental inspiration from the Wall. The song is quite dark, someone struggling to escape something. It carries well from the letters mentioned from Julie, as the song mentions "I keep falling".

"Rejoice" heavily takes on the thematic struggle of the album and has Bono questioning what exactly he needs to change. But he can change the world if he rejoices. There's many ways to carry the message, and make what you do every day into a ministry.

One of the unique aspects of the album to me is the continuous theme of "falling." The songs mention "falling" on a regular basis. It is pride that is said to come before a fall, and it seems the reflection created a consistent reflection that made them feel as if they were falling. "Fire" takes a different approach, with the falling creating a fire inside of him.

"Tomorrow" has a haunting vibe, but it also makes me think of what U2 would become. This song carries so many tones and melodies you'd find prevalent on albums like Songs of Innocence. It shows their potential. Bono declares his belief in Jesus coming, but wonders when He'd return.

"October" is almost entirely instrumental, with few lyrics. The lyrics make me think of the book of Ecclesiastes, which often references how everything is vanity under the sun. What does he care of the wear of the trees. 

Uniquely switching from a piano near instrumental to a song heavier on the drum beats, "With a Shout (Jerusalem)" is a praise song of wanting to go back to the feet of Jesus. 

"Stranger in a Strange Land" in a religiously themed album naturally makes me roll back to Genesis, where Cain was cast out to the land of Nod, becoming a stranger and having to find his own way. The song nevertheless does not reference the story but it makes me think lyrically, he saw something unique that made him think about something of faith that he wished the world could see.

The album then switches to "Scarlet", another instrumental style track. It does not stand out on the level of October however.

The album closes with a song titled "Is That All". Feels like such an interesting closing title. It is interesting as he discusses how singing this song makes him angry, or happy, or sad. And asks if that is all that is wanted. On one hand, this could reference music listeners that perhaps only want him to sing and never discuss anything he believes or feels. On the other hand, it may also reference God, asking Him if singing is all he was really meant to do. 

Lyrics: 10/10 - I personally love the concept and lyricism of the album. I always find it very interesting when secular artists discuss their feelings toward faith and religion in reference to a place and lifestyle that seems to go against much of what God would want for us.

Music: 8/10 - At times the music falls a bit flat in places or borderlines on being too cohesive. It shows a great deal of development in the band though.

Overall: 9/10 - Yes, I gave a critical failure a 9. Bite me. 

Comments