NEW MUSIC FRIDAY: Singles Reviews

 Last week was so filled with Billie Eilish no one else got a shining moment, but this week we have some noteworthy discussions.

We start with the Weeknd's new release "Take My Breath". It seems to look to help continue the success of "Blinding Lights". I enjoy the song but do not think it hit as hard as After Hours as a whole. However, I originally did not think the singles of After Hours were compelling and it ended up being a fantastic album. I have very high hopes. In the mean time, this is a good earwormy song. 7/10.

blackbear, our new "3rd verse rapper", has made a solo return with single "@ My Worst", and to be honest I am kind of vibing with the new song. I haven't ever minded his singing, just not sure about his rapping. Here he leaned into melodies. I think it is a solid song and shows some good potential. 6/10.

To start off, I feel like one of the few people who hate Lany. This week they dropped a song with 220 KID, assuming by the beats it is some sort of DJ song. It isn't as irritating as their solo work but I probably won't come back to it. 4/10.

Ingrid Andress had a beautiful song called "More Hearts Than Mine", and she hadn't impressed me at all since then. I wasn't exactly excited to see the new single was with Sam Hunt, a modern country artist I really don't like music wise. Thankfully, he avoided his usual crap melodies and stuck with her. It is a lovely song and definitely will return to it. 8/10.

FINNEAS, better known as Billie Eilish's brother and producer, has dropped another song of his own called "A Concert Six Months From Now." His music varies in likeability for me. Some of his songs are quite compelling. Other times, I feel like he almost tries too hard to piggyback the sound he created for Billie. This is one of those songs, and honestly, it doesn't stand out to me at all. 3/10.

Never listened to Holly Humberstone prior to this, but she keeps getting recommended to me based on my listening of Olivia Rodrigo. I can see why, but Olivia does it better. Her melodies for the song "Please Don't Leave Just Yet" are just broken and lack the strong emotion. 2/10.

Bea Miller and Kito have released a track. Bea Miller is an interesting one. I loved her debut and sophomore albums. Ever since then, I have hated just about everything she's done. This song goes back to Aurora vibes musically but lyrically sounds like her new terrible lyricism. 4/10 for the earwormy melody, but still disappointing me on the regular. Not as bad as Solar Power though.

The Black Eyed Peas are apparently attempting a comeback by piggybacking on new semi-popular rapper Saweetie. And, I have no idea who Lele Pons is but I assume she's the one actually singing, and I actually like her voice. Honestly, if you enjoy Will.I.Am beats and a good party song, this is a solid earworm track. It has no value outside that, but it is the equivalent of someone enjoying bubblegum and sometimes that's nice. 5/10.

Nessa Barrett is on my watch list because thus far all she has released in singles, but I like her voice and lyricism. Sure, it is nothing special, but I enjoy it anyway. She dropped a new track "I Hope Ur Miserable Until Ur Dead", and honestly I'm down with it. I'm here for all these "sour" teenage heartbreak songs making it through the radio again. 7/10.

Purity Ring, our new favorite underground indie/alt/electronic band has dropped a new single titled "Soshy", in their usual bizarre single fashion. I don't mind it, certainly carrying a bit more energy from tracks like "Bodyache" here from their sophomore album. I am interested in the next release, as they've shown a steady development since their underwhelming debut album Shrines. 6/10.

Luke Hemmings of 5 Seconds of Summer has dropped another single to his future debut album titled "Place in Me". I have always liked Luke's voice and so far his solo work is showing his grand potential. This song is a bit more of a ballad, and shows some of the strong lyrical developments I heard on Calm. I personally love the track. 8/10.

Now, have no fear, I'll have some albums for you this week. Enjoy the drive-bys.


Comments