NEW RELEASE: Donda - Kanye West

 Ah yes, Kanye...or Ye? Since he is technically said to be legally changing his name. Anyone who has been a Taylor Swift fan as long as I have been knows his name very well. And his penchant for controversy, which with Jail Pt. 2 features existing, is neverending. Regardless of how you feel about Kanye's actions, whether he is bipolar or actually a clinical narcissist, or in general, there's a certain respect for his artistry. He has stayed on top of his game, yet everchanging, but never enough to completely alienate his fanbase. 

In case you have not exactly been up to date on Kanye, he's become a staunch Christian or so he says, and his predecessor to Donda, "Jesus is King", is basically a Christian rap album. Donda carries on a lot of the themes, more in that he needs God to love him, forgive him, and guide him. Much of the album discusses his own personal issues but also, appears to make a staunch statement on forgiveness and mercy in the modern era becoming so absent. I never thought I would ever be thinking DEEPLY about a Kanye West piece. Damn.

The standard edition of Donda ends at "No Child Left Behind", but in this case I will be reviewing the bonus tracks as well. 

The album begins with a nearly minute long intro of...someone just saying "Donda" over and over. Given it was his now passed away mother's name, it still gives you a little bit of an eerie feeling like you're trying to call another dimension you probably don't want in your house...

It slides into more of a real first track in "Jail", seemingly discussing how people with prior mistakes are held so horribly and chastised. But turns to saying God is going to post his bail. Kind of a kind sentiment. I am not too into his autotuned singing on this. Jay-Z on the track is kinda humorous considering their weird feuds in the recent years though.

"God Breathed" was originally intended for "Jesus is King" and I won't lie it is kind of a cool track. I do wonder how long Kanye's "God-phase" will last. The instrumental feels unique to hip-hop and it is actually a pretty good Christian rap track.

"Off the Grid" killed the mood with being a bit...annoying. I've never been too into Playboi Carti and the song comes off repetitive. 

The Weeknd is included on "Hurricane" for the hook so we can tell what maybe inspired my 5 minute Kanye moment. This is another track that faced a lot of changes, but I think the final version works a lot better. The lyricism to this one is a lot stronger than other tracks as well. 

"Praise God" is a smooth track but almost feels a bit like filler. It could just be left playing without thinking much.

"Jonah" has collaborators who didn't do the song justice. The lyricism is not bad but the flow ends up being a mess. 

"OK OK" Actually has a nice flow, albeit a little less centered on God. Track seems to talk about hard work and growth. 

"Junya" is definitely rap filler. Maybe meant to be the one party anthem?

"Believe What I Say" returns to God themes of seeking Him in bad times, even while getting trashed by the critics. I like the flow here, and he has melody without too much editing. 

"24" seems nearly like a gospel song praising the Lord. But the autotune returns and it kind of killed the cool vibe.

"Remote Control" is a little weird in the melody to me. I don't like how the singing is. It sounds almost like a taunt in a way. 

"Moon" comes off like more of a soul track but doesn't appeal to me. 

"Heaven and Hell" is an immediate standout to me. It went right to the lyricism. 

"Donda" and it's autotune doesn't do much for me at all. 

"Keep My Spirit Alive" definitely has less appealing collaborative rappers. The repetitions are downright annoying.

"Jesus is Lord" is actually a strong track lyrically. The flow is very strong and it sounds like he means everything he says.

"New Again" may not be so bad if Chris Brown wasn't trying to convince me he repents his life of violence.

"Tell the Vision" seems more an interlude than a real track. 

"Lord I Need You" isn't too bad, but I am not sure the choir added to the song. I think it became distracting.

"Pure Souls" is actually good lyrically again. I feel like Kanye is actually finding things to say these days!

"Come to Life" is actually a beautiful song. I never thought I'd call a Kanye song beautiful. Excuse me I think Donda Chant might've actually brainwashed me. Let me go scrub it out.

The main album closes on "No Child Left Behind", praising God for never turning His back on anyone. 

Now for the controversy. 

In case you have not heard, Marilyn Manson is under investigation for child grooming and rape. Dababy said some very ignorant comments about AIDs. So they are moreless "cancelled" by the general public. Well, Kanye went and got them for Jail pt2. Manson exists more as a backing vocalist while the Jay-Z verse on Jail pt. 1 is replaced with Dababy. I actually think Dababy kept the flow better than the original.

Ok Ok Pt. 2 is just ok, similar to its predecessor. 

I could've done without a Junya Pt 2 since I didn't enjoy Part 1.

Jesus Lord Pt. 2 is as deep as Part 1. Honestly, wish we had more of this on the album. 

Lyrics: 6/10 - There's actually some beautiful tracks lyrically, even if some were executed poorly.

Music: 5/10 - Pretty split in the middle.

Overall: 5/10 - It is a split album. I feel it is congested with too many tracks. I think it could be weeded down a bit and actually be a very solid album. I think it is worth a listen if you are interested in rap music or just want to see what Kanye is doing these days besides pissing people off. 


Comments