ALBUM OF THE WEEK: Tribes Vibes + Scribes - Incognito

 I AM BACK.

For my album of the week for the next few weeks, I decided to have some fun and just selected the literal most random cds out of the bins. I might hate every one of them, but I can affirmatively say of my random eyeless selections, I only recognize one. Not this one though.

I discovered from some small research that Incognito is actually a British acid jazz group. This 1992 release is their third album. I formally admit I am not exactly a Jazz person, but they blend some funk and soul into it so we'll see how this review turns out. 

The album begins with "Colibri", which gives off a very smooth summer vibe. Honestly, the song sounds better without the vocalist's adlibbing in parts of it. Her adlibs take away the vibe. It would be good island music.

We shift to "Change", that is a little less beach and includes a small portion of strings. It almost takes on a Sade kind of vibe, and leans more into soul than jazz. The vocalist has a strong voice. I feel in a couple places she oversings it and takes away from it. I like this track a bit better than track 1.

"River in My Dreams" takes on a bit of a choir and very true soul. It is actually a pretty track, albeit short. They kept it sweet and simple.

The next track, "Don't Worry About a Thing", is the one they are most notable for. It takes back some of the island vibes of track 1, but I feel they are executed a bit better here. 

"Magnetic Ocean" returns to more instrumental pieces. I enjoy the funk elements of the bass in this track. Would be a good track to dance in the evening to.

"I Love What You Do For Me" returns to more Sade-like vibes musically. However, none of their music grabs me in the same way thus far. I think Sade has spoiled me. 

"Closer to the Feeling" has a bit too much horn excitement for me. I prefer my horns selective and limited, since they usually are grating in one way or another. 

"L'arc En Ciel De Miles" once again grates me with too much horn. I do think it is better than the last song though.

We return to slight funk influence with "Need to Know", which almost has a Lenny Kravitz like rift in it. I feel like the keyboard in this track kind of kills everything.

"Pyramides" at least seems more balanced, without instruments I feel do not belong in the track.

The album closes with "Tribal Vibes", which I am not sure I feel is a proper closing but it actually isn't too bad. I want to break that high pitch keyboard though.

Since this album is mostly instrumental, it seems quite pointless to judge lyricism. I will focus on the music. I do think they were moreless trying to create a smooth funk soul sound and I think they didn't do it awfully. Some of the tracks have instrumental pieces I feel take away from the tracks and distract you from the music. So I would by choice give this album a 5/10. I am likely not going to return to it myself, but if you have an interest in this sort of jazzy soulful selections, by all means it is not a bad rendition of it. 

Comments