NEW RELEASE: Optimist - FINNEAS

 Most of us know Finneas for...not his own music. We know him for being Billie Eilish's brother, and basically the core songwriter of "Ocean Eyes", her breakout hit. Finneas has released some EPs and singles solo since then, and he does have a good voice. Sometimes he feels a little on the dull side to me, but he certainly does not choose the production of his sister. He stands well on his own, and that says something to me as well. 

"A Concert Six Months From Now" sounds a bit on the boring side, but I could see someone finding it a bit romantic. 

Okay, I actually love the lyricism in "The Kids Are All Dying", because it feels like this is what corner we are pushing artists into. Someone is always mad about something and something's always wrong so god forbid someone actually be happy. 

"Happy Now" is okay. I don't like this style as much for him. It does not sound as authentic to him.

"Only a Lifetime" actually reminds me what Coldplay used to be which immediately grabbed my heart. His instrumentation is coffeehouse simple but the lyricism stands out beautifully. 

I don't like the vocal effects on "The 90s", it sounds like Kanye West trying to sing with some of it. His voice is fine, don't play with it.

"Love is Pain" is actually emotional and beautiful. Definitely worth a listen. Feel like someone who is losing the person they love more because their own personal differences, and how much it hurts to be the one making someone cry.

"Peaches Etude" is in fact instrumental piano music.

I feel like "Hurt Locker" needed something to make it a bit more emotional. But it isn't bad. Just feels forgettable in the long run. 

"Medieval" is the first upbeat one that I genuinely like. A powerful statement about how stars are treated in the limelight as well while remaining relatable enough it could really be anyone who is in for a moment and out the next.

"Someone Else's Star" is quite emotional as well. Because sometimes the biggest thing you have to do is forgive yourself when something goes wrong. 

"Around my Neck" I don't really like at all. The lyrics don't grab me and the production is a mess.

"What They'll Say About Us" is a sweet sentiment, although the song doesn't grab me as much as others.

The closer, "How It Ends", uses that vocoder effect again I am not too fond of. It is an okay song but again, does not grab me.

Lyrics: 8/10 - Finneas honestly has much more profound and stronger lyricism than his sister's work. He is not afraid to say what he wants to say about things going on and in today's business that is a good thing in my mind.

Music: 5/10 - The music tends to be the downfall of the album at times. Effects that didn't work, the melodies not adding enough emotion or passion to the words. 

Overall: 6/10 - It is a solid debut if you like slower coffeehouse style tunes with meaningful lyrics. Do not come into this expecting Billie Eilish 2.0, they are very different musically. 

Comments