END OF YEAR: THE WORST OF 2021

 It is the season of cheer, joy, and hallejuahs. It is also the time for sneer, humbugs, and jeers. In this case I am here for the jeers. 2021 has some spectacular musical moments but we had some that are just worthy of an extra jeer. It is impossible for me to review every single release from the year, but these releases stayed etched in my memory for all the wrong reasons. These are in no particular order. This is what I would consider the worst releases of 2021. Remember this is strictly my opinion. If you enjoy these albums, the plus side is there are so many different genres to appeal to everyone. Obviously, many of these people still create music beyond what a critics opinion is! 

Music - Sia: Outside the escapades about how poorly received the movie itself was, this is one of the worst endeavors of Sia musically to date. And that is somewhat painful considering I own quite a few Sia albums. The lyrics are lackluster and fail to create the world and emotion she was trying to do. It is forgettable poorly done Disney pop at best. 

Amorphous - Icon for Hire: Another great disappointment for me considering I do enjoy Icon for Hire. This album, despite being crowdfunded, seemed absolutely lifeless. It felt like when they tell you that you have 2 months to get a finished product into the publisher and they submitted half-baked products. I have hopes still considering how great their previous album was to me, but this is not it.

CALL ME IF YOU GET LOST - Tyler, The Creator: It is literally rap flexing over jazz melodies. I am not the biggest Jazz fan but I am pretty sure whatever this is, is in fact an insult to it. Secondarily, while I have never liked any of his creations, I could at least give him points that I have in fact never heard this before. This is unoriginal, even for him. I won't be calling him if I am lost, I think at that point I'd rather remain lost.

Solar Power - Lorde: I knew as soon as the New Zealand songstress declared herself a prettier Jesus that we were in fact done for. She somehow managed to disappoint me further beyond the lead singles with the most half-baked album I have heard from her. At least Melodrama had the, well melodrama to it. Some sort of meaningful passion. This has nothing going for it, and I think she kind of knows it too.

Certified Lover Boy - Drake: Do I even need to explain this one? Just look at the album cover. Why is he still in the game at this point? In his entire career he has made 2ish songs that are worth listening to. The rest is highly autotuned garbage with some of the laziest vocals you can attempt.

Daddy's Home - St. Vincent: I never really know what I am expecting with St. Vincent, but this one just was not it for me. I don't think she fully got across the general idea. It was a bit all over the place in quality. MASSEDUCTION was very compelling as a piece so I was a bit disappointed.

Sling - Clairo: Most Clairo fans have even accepted this thinly made attempt at being an acoustic singer-songwriter in the modern generation did not work. Jack Antonoff cannot in fact fix how dreadfully boring this album is. The only time you should put it on is if you have severe insomnia. It'll fix it. 

The Red (Taylor's Version) Vinyl: On top of the strange choice to make a 4 vinyl set played at 45 RPM, they left a guitar feedback in the beginning of State of Grace. She should have realized then she would be in the state of shame, shame that even Fearless re-recorded sounded much stronger and more impassioned. If it wasn't for the vault tracks, which in fact sound terrible on the vinyl, this re-recording would actually not be worth the time at all. 

Ancient Dreams in a Modern Land - MARINA: Do you ever enjoy the content of some for its catchiness yet fully realize this is actually terrible? This is about the experience of the new MARINA album. I have been a fan for a while, I have some version of all her albums. This album musically is fun and keeps you somewhat returning. However, the lyrics are pathetic. Some way too on the nose, others completely strange. Overall, it is probably the worst work to date I have heard from her and that is why it is here. Venus Fly Trap is still a fun song nevertheless.

Dancing with the Devil...the Art of Letting Go - Demi Lovato: Demi has become a media eyesore where I cannot help but wonder how they have not ended up under similar circumstance to Britney Spears. After their nearly fatal overdose, they cannot even drive as there's spots in their vision. I would think at this point someone would get this poor individual some long-term help, not just 30 day funded rehabs. On other notes I cannot decide if they are in fact that troubled, or they're downright narcissistic. Especially listening to this album, where it appears the only form of writing Lovato can do is re-enact all her troubles for internet points. I think considering this is the 3rd-ish time Lovato has in fact done this, the coming back formation is growing old. We need something different. Like you actually getting it together for real. 

Welcome to the Madhouse - Tones and I: Honestly I do not hate Dance Monkey. Tones has a unique voice and I wanted to see what she decided to fully flesh with it. Let me close this with I regret thinking anything beyond Dance Monkey might be listenable. This album was a trainwreck.

Take the Sadness Out of Saturday - Bleachers: Anyone who has had a formal conversation with me about modern music knows I am actually not a fan of Jack Antonoff. At all. I do not understand the craze of working with it. He does 2 things well, and everything he does will have those elements that make you for sure that...well he did it. Because that's the only kind of thing he does. He is becoming the death of fun pop music by trying to make everything sound like his half baked indie albums. You know, like this one. Although this time, I just can't help but feel like he make the lyrics more cringe-worthy. This is the sort of stuff only the karaoke bar can fully give accolades to.

Jordi - Maroon 5: Truthfully, a lot of Maroon 5 albums are eligible for a bad list but this one ends up seeming more like bile compared to the heartburn the others may give you. Every song sounds as if it was created to be a half-baked radio hit, but never fully achieved the status. At this rate they should release a B-sides to Songs About Jane. This was about the only time Adam Levine's eternal love of himself did not overshadow what the band was capable of.

Insert the dreadfully long name here, just kidding. A Touch of the Beat Gets You Up on Your Feet Gets You Out and Then into the Sun - Aly & AJ: This is a group I would normally fight to defend but this album is forgettable at the very best and poorly made pop at the worst. Considering "Insomniatic" years later is still in my shuffle, I expected a stronger return for these sisters. Not one that, but who signed off on an album title that ridiculous and hard to remember? Absolutely no cares were given. 

The 20th Anniversary Re-recording of The Spirit Room - Michelle Branch: When I heard she was re-recording and reissuing the Spirit Room, one of my all time favorite albums, I was thrilled. Before entering the first note it was obvious her indie style black keys husband produced everything and ruined the original pop/rock acoustic sound. Secondarily, I guess it is going to be the trend to karaoke your old songs? Taylor's new lifeless rendition of We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together was bad enough. Michelle made this more lifeless in the entire album. It isn't even worth getting the vinyl if this is the recording we are receiving. 

Sob Rock - John Mayer: I will be the first to tell you I actually enjoy a few John Mayer songs. Despite the "Dear John" debacle, I can enjoy the music of the people my favorite songwriters love to sneer. Nevertheless, Sob Rock is like taking the dad jokes way too far. It was a poor impersonation of other songs where I am used to John Mayer for his lyricism and actual originality. This is likely as close to selling out as a John Mayer album can get. I don't want to imagine worse things.

An Evening with Silk Sonic - Silk Sonic: I honestly think this wouldn't be so much here if it wasn't for the song constantly playing on the radio, how relatively cheesy it all is, and my lowering expectations for anything connected to Bruno Mars by the minute. Is this really the same guy who could write "When I Was Your Man"? "Grenade"? This is where he turned? It is somehow slightly above 24k Magic as a musical body of work, but I cannot get over how many accolades this heap of cheese is getting for being so fresh. It is nothing that has not been done before. He is making millions on a different kind of retro. Stop it you hipsters.

Something for Thee Hotties - Megan Thee Stallion: While Megan is not my type of rap music, nor is most rap music in general, I usually can give credit where it is due. Her debut album to me was quite good for a rap album, although in general I would not repeat it. This is a steaming pile of nothingness disguised as a gift to fans who have been waiting for something new. 

Spaceman - Nick Jonas: To be clear, I have not enjoyed any Jonas Brother solo. Which is sad, considering Nick was always my favorite. His half baked soul-leaning pop music is not it though. It feels all the time like he is trying to be some new Justin Timberlake and all he looks like is an impostor Vegas act. 

Death by Rock and Roll - The Pretty Reckless: This album I think was meant to be deep and personal yet did not quite get to the point where I truly felt it. Whether you love or hate the Taylor Momsen-fronted group, they have definitely had better showings. I think they've slowly lost their flare after their debut and sophomore albums. Maybe the slump will not last forever. 

Anything released by Carolesdaughter this year: This person has not released an official album to date, but every single sounds like the tumblr meme of what everyone thinks emo kids are like. It is an insult to music and actually deep and personal lyricism. I felt a need to bring her up even though she has not an album to call the worst. I hope she doesn't make one. 

This is about all the damage I can do for 2021. I will have many more destructive reviews for you in the fresh new year. 2022 hopefully will offer us something exciting. 

Comments