NEW RELEASE: Drive-by Singles

 You need something to keep you captivated from the par to under par releases of the early 2022 season, so I have another edition of drive bys for you!

I haven't listened much to Kane Brown, but he seems to be most people's new favorite country male. "Whiskey Sour" however sounds like...every other country male song ballad. If you like that kind of thing, add it to your rotation of soft cry in your beer songs of the likes of Tim McGraw or Luke Bryan. 

We are SKIPPING THE FACT Chris Brown still has a career after being an unredeemable garbage of a human being his entire career and getting away with it when there's so many other pop vocalists like Jason DeRulo or Trey Songz or really ANYONE doing this sound just as reasonable without the track record of being an abusive jerk. 

Avril Lavigne has dropped a new single. I was hoping for something better musically than the immaturity that was "Bite Me". Second single from her future album "Love Sux", dropping on February 25th. It is slightly better than Bite Me, but still not impressed. I hope the album offers me something more.

Oliver Tree is such a strange existence in the vein of alternative pop. He kind of came out of nowhere with "Hurt Me" and occasionally drops a random song to remind you he is still there. Almost everything he does however sounds about the same and lacks the appeal of the original track. However "Cowboys Don't Cry" is the first one to actually draw me in since the original song. Maybe he can still do something if he really tries.

I am relatively new to Mitski, and her sound makes me think more of the vein in the 80s scene thus far production wise. Her lyricism is actually not bad either. "Love Me More" is a song that sneaks up on you. I am very interested in the full album when it drops.

I feel like I missed something about Tai Verdes being so relevant right now. I cannot stand a single song he has put out so far. This song is absolutely no different. 

Muse has made a return. Muse is a very mixed bag for me. I either love it or I absolutely hate it. "Won't Stand Down" sounds in the vein more of their last album which I enjoyed more than others. I will be taking an interested listen down the line to the album.

Another mixed bag of similar proportions, Bastille has entered the mix. I liked their last single but this song is one of the less appealing ones. But I am not always a fan of arrangements Bastille chooses, particularly for a lead single with such a deep voice.

Against the Current is a relatively forgotten and unheard of pop/rock scene band. They take on more of the sound of a mixture of Paramore, CHVRCHES, and Tonight Alive. I enjoy the new song similarly to their other discography. "Wildfire" is just a dip in though, I recommend checking their other works!

I have personally never heard of Yeule until today, upon turning on this new single "Too Dead Inside". I love this dark wave ambient electronic vibe. Easy to get lost in and just zone out. I will likely check out more by them.

And there are your drive by singles for this week. I will see you again soon!

Comments