NEW RELEASE: From a Bird's Eye View - Cordae

 I have not personally listened to Cordae. I am usually not very avid into checking the new rap releases, as it is not exactly my favorite genre of choice. Once in a while though, something gets enough hype that I take a view into it. Some higher profile collaborations suggested also that this may not be one to play around with.

The album centers around his rise to fame. It begins with "Shiloh's Intro", which for being an almost beatless phone call that has some serious flow. The fact he can make it sound good without the beat drop, tells me he at least knows what he is doing.

"Jean-Michel" has a great flow and actually has a story to it. Giving an insight to survival and where the artist grew up. Not just flexing but really talking about some current issues even within the art world. 

"Super" is definitely a typical flex song, it is definitely well written flows though. He at least is not taking some jazz beats behind some of the lamest flexes you heard in a while like the last rap album I reviewed...

'Momma's Hood" continues the story of him returning look through his hometown. Nevertheless, the closing part about missing the dog actually grabbed my heart. Pets can have such an influential part of everyone's life, rich or poor. It is a connection to humanity.

"Want From Me" is less appealing lyrically. I think the songs seamlessly go together though. His work has less musicality and leans a bit more into raps beat poetry history.

"Today" is thus far the most appealing song to me. He kept his verses well within the melody Gunna created and the story is definitely starting from the bottom getting to where they are now.

"C Carter" is the first time I feel his flow is a little off and the song does not quite fit with the others. I prefer the rest thus far.

I take it Lil Wayne is planning a comeback? Featured on the new Weeknd album and now he is here! "Sinister" also has a mild problem. He is trying to fit too many syllables in. 

I think the second half of the album is being hurt by the collaborations a little. I do not find "Chronicles" appealing melodically. The lyrics are not bad. I also feel like I am one of the only people who missed the H.E.R. hype train. 

"Champagne Glasses" apparently samples a bit of Stevie Wonder. I am not as into this one as well. He sounds much better on his own than he does getting involved with other artists.

The main album closes with "Westlake High", which seems to also take sampling from something older. It seems quite kind actually to hear a rapper reflect and thank those who helped him get to where he is. It shows a certain humility missing from a lot of other music similar.

Lyrics: 7/10 - Very good for a rap album. It is a bit of a flex album but keeps to a story and shows improvement and growth of a person. He kept the beats well.

Music: 6/10 - The album suffered a bit at the end from clunky collaborations. If you are good on your own, don't drag other people into it so much.

Overall: 6/10 - If you enjoy hip-hop in general. Give this a listen. Very solid body of work story wise. 

Comments