NEW RELEASE: The Gods We Can Touch - AURORA

 I have been absolutely thrilled for the new AURORA release. The singles were great in my opinion, and she has yet to miss with me. The lead single "Cure for Me" was different but showed she does not intend to be a one trick pony. I was eager to hear how the experimentation in musical production played out on the new album. The album is inspired by spirituality, and how the Greek gods and goddesses tended to sound more human in nature. It does touch upon real issues as well. 

"The Forbidden Fruits of Eden" is an intro, reminding me of little aspects to her songs in general. It helps set a mood for sure. 

"Everything Matters" is a slower track, and makes a point of how despite us seeming like small pieces, every little action we take matters. There is french styled ending from the singer Pomme, which AURORA suggests is inspired by the castle where much of the album was done. 

"Giving in to the Love" discusses the obsession with standards of beauty and hints upon issues of racism as well. Why change for the world anyway? I feel it is lyrically one of the less inclining songs for me but it is still good.

"Cure for Me" got a lot of crap for the circus melody but I personally find it addictive. I feel like it references how free spirited the circus is, and rather than being told to hide, these people told they are "abominations" can proudly display who they are. I think people do not "get" the song but that is okay. People should have the freedom to express themselves.

"You Keep Me Crawling" starts off with an organ that makes me feel as if I entered a strange sort of wedding. I am not personally sure I feel the instrumentals match the song. The song seems to reference the difficulty for people who are lovers. Instead of having an easy time, they often face the most suffering. 

"Exist for Love" is a slow ballad inspired by a personification of love. It was the first single released from the album, and it definitely set a mood for it. Sounds like a love song for a moonlit dinner. I am not sure production wise it specifically fits on the album. But it adds a flare of lightness it needs.

"Heathens" was personally my favorite pre-album single. It experiments with bigger melodies and stronger drum beats while also sounding very much her. There is really no other musician that sounds like AURORA right now, which makes her stand out regardless. The song is inspired by the persecution women have faced throughout history, leading to how woman is so heavily blamed for the fall of mankind even. Melodically it is addictive and keeps you coming back.

"The Innocent" is inspired by how innocent behavior is often sexualized and makes for a damaging world. The way she sings in the song makes me think to the Cranberries actually, while taking on more of the upbeat nature of "Cure For Me". I personally love this track, something fresh but original. 

"Exhale Inhale" seems to be the song getting mixed reviews from the album, but I feel quite fond of it. It is quite a bit slower than her usual work. It almost sounds acapella. It makes you think of telling a folk story through a song. Very elegant. 

"A Temporary High" is inspired by someone fascinating, who you cannot forget but cannot keep up with either. I feel like the song is a bit modern in production and I am not sure it fits her voice as well to do the usual pop sounds. 

"A Dangerous Thing" was the last pre-album single and is inspired by how it is often the most beautiful things which are actually the ugliest and deadliest. I love this song as well, the melody sounds a great deal like her older songs as well.

I never imagined hearing a modern artist using an accordian in their music, and then I remember AURORA is in fact Norwegian. They likely still have these sort of melodies around there. It makes for something very unique in "Artemis", a slow but captivating track.

"Blood in the Wine" is absolutely addictive, in a similar vein to Apple Tree, and is inspired by religious imagery. She encourages people to feel "strengthened" by it and find their own meaning within it. It is vague enough to do so. 

"This Could Be a Dream" is inspired by those who struggle with even getting up for the day, a song for them as a light in the dark. It is a beautiful song and makes me think back to "Exist for Love". 

"A Little Place Called the Moon" makes me think back to prior songs from here, particularly Dance on the Moon, because she is displaying the moon as a sort of enchanting and comforting place. The song is a shorter outro, a dream in bloom. 

Lyricism: 9/10 - AURORA keeps her regular lyricism and still stands out.

Music: 8/10 - The one drawback to this album is an occasional mismatch of production versus her vocal choices. I think none of the songs are particularly bad, I feel the songs could have been better with a different choice.

Overall: 9/10 - AURORA has not failed me again. I love the way she writes and the way she stays true to her artistry. I think she will continue to have a steady small following. 

Comments