NEW RELEASE: THYLA - Thyla

The British invasion never fully stopped with the likes of Dua Lipa or Rina Sawayama in our pop scene, but Thyla is reminding us of a different times of Britain music. Within the likeness of shoegaze and dark wave types of pop-rock, they present themselves with a Pale Waves-esque lead singer into their debut album. 

The album begins with the track "Amber Waits", which the distortion makes it difficult for me to decipher exactly what Amber is waiting on, but the music draws me in with interest at least.

"Breathe" sounds like someone reconnecting with a past partner and reminiscing. The dream-pop style of the track really enhances the nostalgic feeling and gets you lost in the track.

"3" seems more like the punk/pop revival currently existing, and I almost feel it fits the artist better. However, the chorus vocal production really kills it for me. It sounds completely off with the rest of it and I cannot hop on that.

"Flush" has similar vocal flaws holding me back from getting on board, with an uninteresting lyrical approach to distress that leaves me wishing there was something more to their music right now.

"Gum" is one of the better songs on the album. The lyricism draws you in without being too confusing and the music itself doesn't take you out of the track. Sometimes shoegaze is its own worst enemy, having too much going on at once.

"Echo for Ingrid" may be my personal favorite as they found a balance between the distortions and emotional delivery with solid production. 

"Kin" struggles with similar issues to 3, the delivery takes you out of an otherwise decent track. The chorus feels a bit half-cooked.

Imbude is an interlude, but I like the guitar music. 

"Making My Way Through the Skyline" isn't really sure what it wants to be, you get that right off the bat. Nevertheless, it made it an interesting listen. I guess it really gives the impression of getting through something. 

"Dandelion" takes the distortion of some of the earlier tracks and mixes it with an almost grunge sound. It makes me think a little more to Bleach, and in that sense it kind of worked.

The album closes with "Rabbit Hole", a short ballad of overthinking and trying to figure out who exactly you are. It is not bad and a decent closer.

LYRICS: 6/10 - Sometimes the lyrics were good, other times I am not sure I understood it or I felt they could have been written better.

MUSIC: 4/10 - This album is all over the place and from this debut effort, I am not sure who the identity of this band sonically is yet. It is not necessarily a bad thing, but it needs more refinement.

OVERALL: 5/10 - An okay effort for a debut. The band has potential, but they need more work. Production needs polished and more cohesive ideas are necessary for a more successful effort. 

Comments