NEW RELEASES: Single Drive-bys

 This week is filled with more individual releases than full length releases, but these lead to more albums for us later!

The Chainsmokers are back with a new track, "High", and while I am normally one of the minority that did not hate them all that much, this song sounds like a bad EDM edition of mumble trap music. 

We get another post-humous track from the late XXXTentacion, regardless how you feel about his history, his outtakes remain on many's playlist. I find it about as disappointing as the rest of his stuff - with poorer mixing. 

Charli XCX is collaborating with new artist Rina Sawayama with "Beg For You." I am questioning if they acknowledge the near complete rip off chorus wise of September's "Cry for You." It isn't bad but considering how extensive the interpolation is, it makes me more inclined to go listen to September's song. 

Ella Mai had one song that got some radio play, but comes off relatively generic and like a flash in the pan. "DMFU" as a single doesn't help my impression of her at all. Another forgettable track from an artist I barely remembered.

Anitta is new and coming without a debut album, but "Boys Don't Cry" is a catchy pop single that leaves me wondering what else she is going to offer us.

Calling yourself "Just Stef" is interesting for a stage name but "Joke" is not a terrible song. Nothing is actually particularly stand out about it either but there is potential existing.

I had heard of Eels but never taken a listen. "Strawberries and Popcorn" sounds like some sort of indie americana Lumineers wannabe-esque track without any of the emotion that makes those genres and artists exciting...

The immediate thought when Beatrich came on was some Avril and Hayley Williams Paramore crossover brand - but I enjoy both of those so I actually kind of like this track. "Wishlist" may deserve a listen for you guys too.

I will close the single reviews with Grimes, who while I had zero interest in a year or so ago has captivated my interest as an electronica musician. I really like Miss Anthropocene and I have been interested in her new output. "Shinigami Eyes" does not particularly stand out lyrically (most dance type music does not), but it is so easy to get lost in. I don't think either of her new singles match the uniqueness that captivated me with Miss Anthropocene, but they are not bad by any stretch.


Comments