NEW RELEASE: GLITCH PRINCESS - Yeule

 I was interested in this release after hearing a couple singles from this artist. I will be very clear that Yeule identifies as non-binary and therefore this review refers to them with the they/them pronoun set. They are actually a Singaporean songwriter and producer. I happen to find it a questionable choice already when I see the closing track is an almost 5 hour track in which I do not have the time for but will skim through. 

"My Name is Nat Cmiel" is more a spoken word track and it is actually kind of eerie. It gives you a weird vibe when you know...you are up at 11 PM listening to this in the dark of your room. Kind of haunted vibe, feels like I entered the wrong side of the internet again.

"Electric" is less creepy but more confusing. It is likely referencing a sort of abusive relationship of some kind? The electronic vocal parts through some of it make the song kind of grating at worst. 

"Flowers are Dead" carries a very similar beat and therefore is beginning to make this almost too cohesive sonically. The vocals are hard to discern in the track as well.

"Eyes" is sonically more appealing to me, it sounds more like what I had heard from her previously that attracted me. Definitely darker in messaging. 

"Perfect Blue" lyrically sounds to reference body image issues and eating disorders, but everything is so on the nose and the vocals are produced rather poorly. 

"Don't Be So Hard on Your Own Beauty" sounds less electronic that it almost surprises you out of the trance the rest of the over-cohesion puts you in. It seems maybe they chose the best songs as the singles.

"Fragments" takes us back into the cohesion and the electronics here are downright grating.

"Too Dead Inside" is the original first song I heard in which I liked.

Any song titled "Bites on my Neck" is probably going to be a bit strange and...the assessment was accurate. Lyrically it does refer back to other tracks which gives me the impression the album is a sort of weird story I am not grasping properly. 

"I Heart You" I actually could not properly finish because the lyrics involve references to dark mental health topics and for anyone interested in the album, please be aware of the triggers in this song.

Be aware of similarly very dark themes in "Friendly Machine", especially if you have an eating disorder of any kind. I am not sure this sort of provocative on the nose lyricism is helping the album.

I am assuming maybe the track "Mandy" is in reference to the person who is central to the dark themes? 

The closer is in fact a...literally near 5 hour instrumental piece that many are calling "drone music" It seems relatively confusing and makes me wonder if there's a sort of intended future visual to this perhaps? I don't know.

Lyrics: 5/10 - It is hard to kind of make sense of it. I think some may find the lyricism cathartic in a way. I don't think I am the right audience.

Music: 3/10 - This album lacks adventurous production and is so cohesive that things run together. Whenever a shift occurred, it was abrupt and then went back to the standard. 

Overall: 4/10 - I do not think I will revisit more than 2 or 3 songs from the project. I am a bit disappointed in the final product overall. 


Comments