NEW RELEASE: Single Fly-bys

 We are back for another super new Friday, with some maybe less than appealing tracks to choose from, but hey. Someone's got to tell you about it. 

Jack Harlow is making a name for himself beyond what I knew him for, which was being on a Lil Nas X song... His flow is messy and he sounds the same in just about every song he does. If you like him, Nail Tech is nothing new. If you don't like him, Nail Tech is nothing new.

Mimi Webb's new single to help promote a future release likely, "House on Fire", sounds lyrically so angry. I mean, she's going to set his HOUSE on fire. But somehow this is just a perfect cookie cutter pop tune with a sheer lack of delivery fire. This makes the song utterly forgettable. Would've been better with those lyrics as a pop/rock song.

Jessie Murph released a song titled "Pray", that I will say is not something particularly new in the current indie pop ballad trajectory. It sounds a bit like a rip off of a Tate McRae song, but with better vocal delivery. I feel she could do more with the song and she has potential, but nothing to rush off with. 

Sabrina Carpenter is back with "Fast Times", and she is following the stylistic cadence that drives me up a wall. I did quite like her debut album, but since then she's released less than stellar trend chasing pop that took her entire musical identity. I imagine this tells you what I think.

I have been hearing a lot about Baby Tate so I figured I'd try the new single, "What's Love" sounds like a modern take on smooth R&B and pop with a little bit of a Brandy flare. I honestly kind of like it. I wonder if her other songs sound like this, could I be lured in?

I haven't really listened to Tessa Violet much either, but it is kind of hard not to click a song called "Yes Mom" to be honest. It seems to be influenced by a Billie Eilish sound with more of a pop scope to it. Definitely catchy and easy to get into it.

Mila Degray immediately makes me think of old style Juliana Hatfield. I know some people don't like that raw of an indie sound, but in this track it sounds pretty authentic and drew me right in. If you like that style, she has definitely impressed me. Curious what else she has outside "Purple Ribbon". 

I don't know anything by Mahalia really, but "Letter to Ur Ex" is apparently her comeback. The song I think is a grower because of the style, but I like the raw styling of it. It feels like you're listening in on a real conversation and getting the scope of an issue. I think more should see this is how you do a talk style cadence also.

Rex Orange County is back with "AMAZING", all caps you know because we cannot grammar anymore. It is another single in relation to his future album release this year. It is not as bad as other songs I heard by him. I am not sure he has really found where his voice belongs, and I am not sure this is the style either, but maybe one day I will play one of these and go wow. This kid finally figured this out. Until then, we all remain lost with him.

I know you are all waiting on some full albums, and we will get to that as well. 


Comments