NEW RELEASE: Singles Drive-By

 WE ARE HERE AND READY TO GO. I am covid-19 free and back in business properly which means MORE input you never asked for but you get it anyway. 

This series begins with the fact Nicki Minaj is finally back. No not another bad twitter controversy, with actual music. Whether you love her or hate her, she is one of the most iconic female rappers in the mainstream at this rate. I don't think she will be gone any time soon. However, she has veered into the autotuned mess of mumble rap today when she is actually capable of singing. This song is a no from me personally. 

I kind of suspected a song titled "You Feel Like Depression" may actually be cringy. It isn't as bad as I thought it would be, but I think it could have used some better vocal production and a bit more emotion in the vocal output. 

It has been a minute since we heard Liam Gallagher. Thank heavens for that - because the less the former Oasis band members open their actual mouths the more tolerable they are. I do love Oasis myself, and I like the new single "Everything's Electric". Despite being annoyed with each other's artistic decisions, much of Noel and Liam's solo work sounds a lot like Oasis in general. 

If you considered a more upbeat Corinne Bailey Rae to be up your alley, Nia Archives seems to have captured some of that vibe. It also gives me a little bit of "bossa nova" feelings, with the song "Luv Like." It is a good background rhythm with reasonable enough melody to enjoy it as either backdrop or full listen material. 

In a similar vein, I do not know who Mallrat is, but this song "Your Love" caught my pop catchy beat loving attention. It is kind of like a low tempo dance pop track but I like her voice. I'll let it pass for a catchy track.

You titled yourself "Goth Babe" so I am probably going to try it out of sheer curiosity. In this case, it kind of killed the cat. It has that wannabe cross between indie pop and Jack Antonoff that every alternative artist seems to be trying, with a lackluster vocalist leading it through.

I have also not heard Lyn Lapid prior to this track, titled "I Guess That Was Goodbye", but her voice is quite pleasant. The instrumentation itself is great as well. Nevertheless, her delivery doesn't grab me. I do hear potential if she can get a bit more emotion in her delivery.

The Red Hot Chili Peppers are back - and I am sure no one wants my opinion on them. Their new single "Black Summer", is the lead single to their future release that you may want to pre-order. Their lyricism still does not make a ton of sense, but I actually don't mind this track. There's a weird sort of relevancy to it. It has ended up making me like the song. Just something about it feels heavier than it maybe is in messaging. 

I will close this out with a review on the new Tate McRae single, "she's all i wanna be". Also can we go back to using proper grammar for song titles yet? I wasn't super into "you broke me first", but I like this one a bit better. She sounds less electronic on her voice, like you can actually hear her. The emotion is there more. I am interested in what a full album from her will end up sounding like. Her hit broke out around the same time as Driver's License and she has been a bit overshadowed by the other female artist on top right now. 

I'll see you for the album reviews, we got some winners this week...or do we?

Comments