NEW RELEASE: The Body Never Lies - Krewella

 If you remember anything of the dance pop revival led by the likes of David Guetta, Diplo, Calvin Harris, and so on you may remember this one track breaking through to pop radio. Titled "Alive", Krewella's hit dominated briefly before they sadly fell off the mad. It seems sadly in the DJ dance pop industry, men are still the rulers. This was back in 2013.

What actually plagued the band was not a lack of talent but a lack of output, stemming from a lawsuit that happened from the DJing member Kris Trindl. They ended up finally settling the lawsuit outside of court in 2015. They then faced an uphill battle getting new music made and out to the public. A fresh EP came out in 2016, without much critical appeal. While continuing to release music, nothing managed to hit the heights of Alive. It appeared they were out of the limelight. 

This loss of limelight can lead people to do one of two things. They can have the artistic freedom to grow, innovate, and expand. Or some will lay down on the tracks, chasing every trend, trying to grasp at straws for the relevancy and fame once held for those fifteen minutes. This album will tell me how Krewella handled the gripping loss of their moment.

The album begins with an electro pop track mixed with some raw instrumental, "Ashes to Ashes, Dust to Dust" makes a compelling opener to this album. I am intrigued where this sound will go. I like the start of it.

Traces is making me think of "Untouched" style Veronicas. Does anyone remember that album for the songs outside of that lead single we all got sick of? The drop doesn't take away from the feeling of the song but enhances it. I like a good innovative story-telling electronic artist in the vein of Grimes.

This album apparently chose innovation for them. I don't hear a trend being chased here. "No Control" feels different for them. A collaboration with MADGRRL. However, the drop here I do not think enhances the track. It is too chaotic and the lyrics don't match the chaotic anger in a vein of say, Alice Glass with SUFFER AND SWALLOW.

"In the Water" makes me feel they dabbled a bit in Dark Wave. I'm not sure they are successfully mastering dark dance pop, but it is a fair attempt.

"War Forever" captures the intro track more in sound. I wish the entire album actually sounded more like this track. It is unique without being too chaotic. The lyrics are good. A solid tune.

"You Don't Even Have to Try" immediately grabbed me in the intro. It reminds me a bit more in the vein of early 2000s dance pop. Yes I realize I dated this song immensely but I love 2000s dance pop blended with eurodance trends. Leave me be.

I feel "Never Been Hurt" is a reminder collaborations do not always make something more appealing or stronger. BEAUZ takes away from the track. 

"Drive Away" is held up by the pained agony and reaching in the vocals of this song. The lyrics are simplistic, but I think most can relate to wanting to just run away from their problems. 

I was a bit surprised by "6 Feet". It starts off like a straight pop song actually. and partly acapella at that. I am not sure I liked some of the styling of this track. However, I admire how different it sounds to me.

The album closes with "I'm Just a Monster Underneath, My Darling", a song that almost leans into a vein that isn't electronic at all. The song kind of brings together other parts of the album, but strangely, I think this is the strongest song on the album. Emotionally, lyrically it grabs you. 

Lyrics: 6/10 - Some songs were simplistic and relatable, others really stood out.

Music: 7/10 - I natrually like Krewella beats, but I think at times they misfired with the experimentation with more chaotic distortions. 

Overall: 6/10 - Not a bad effort by any means. I'd recommend trying it out if you forgot them. 

Comments