NEW RELEASE: Fever Dream - Cannons

 Cannons has been slowly gaining steam with hits like "Bad Dream" and "Fire for You". Their dreampop reverb hitting every radio station and stealing hearts. I am naturally interested in the full product of their debut effort. 

It begins "Come Alive", and I am a bit surprised to hear more emotional delivery from her voice. It shows she is capable beyond the dreamy reverbs. Nevertheless, the track is not exactly my personal cup of tea.

"Hurricane" feels like it needs a little something stronger from the lyric section to elevate it above a forgettable filler pop track. 

"Strangers" is the first track that is grabbing me. The choice of pacing and delivery really grabs the anxiety of the moment and the anticipation. 

"Tunnel of You" falls into lyrical forgetfulness again, however, I appreciate hearing a slightly different instrumental they can do.

"Bad Dream" is a personal favorite of the singles for me.

"Ruthless" just sounds too...catty? A bit too happy and uppity for the emotion she is trying to deliver. It takes away from the song.

"Only You" made me immediately think of Berlin. I don't really enjoy songs of this sort of vibe, but I can see many loving this one. Feels like such a throwback.

"Goodbye" feels like the first song that actually grabbed me. The lyrics caught me and the delivery matches up. I will take it.

"Purple Sun" has a bit of the cattiness from "Ruthless" done in a stronger form. 

"Afterglow" gives a bit of a throwback vibe as well. The lyrics are a bit simple, but it is a sweet sentiment. It'd be a song to play for someone on a date in your car.

"Lightning" feels like the better and strong love song on the album, and it makes for a strong album closer. It would certainly give you a positive impression.

Lyrics: 5/10 - It doesn't take away, but many times it does not particularly stand out either.

Music: 7/10 - Their musicality is good, but it does at times sound too cohesive and I think their style at times holds them back from more emotional deliveries.

Overall: 6/10 - A solid debut. If you enjoyed all the singles, the album will definitely impress.

Comments

  1. No Bi***es , No Ho** No ridiculous overhyped fashionista BS .. too bad It's a top notch unit playing music that is too " cohesive" for pretentious reviewers ...so, incohesive is in now, I missed that memo.. But I guess you cannot please everyone.. My only complaint is with Columbia Records, at least that's what they USED to be, producers of actual records, if You wont release Cannons Music on CD or Vinyl, you might as well resign them to invisibility in the future, without evidence of their musical prowess past ether located downloads, you are just taking the piss as their 'so called' managers. Sorry if my Australian vernacular is too much for you record company stooges... Not sorry..... Cannons are as good as it gets sonically and artistically for more people than you realize, and you peanuts are deliberately holding them back. Justify why ? Personal opinion , Hurricane video was a triumph of sound and visual art and you damn well know it. Play on Cannons . If in Australia Tash Sultana or Telenova can have CD and Album Releases what's Columbia's excuse here ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, first off thank you for the comment! I don't see them often here. I am a rather amateur reviewer working for a record store and my reviews are completely unfunded. As in no one is paying me to do this. I absolutely agree labels not releasing physicals are holding their artists back! It is strange with the revival of physical media, the labels want to remain so cheap. I hope cannons in the future DOES get some physicals!

      When I discussed the cohesion, it is not because being completely incohesive works. It is the idea that if all your songs sound SO sonically similar, that the listener will lose interest as it becomes boring. This is where the line draws at becoming "over" cohesive. This is obviously just my opinion!

      I also tend to get pretty bored with the notion you mentioned above because anyone can go down the b***** and h** method. It doesn't make it good. I appreciate your opinion!

      Delete
    2. I’m in the uk - why aren’t they on main stream radio !!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Suggestions or comments