NEW RELEASE: SINGLE DRIVE BYS

 We conclude this exciting week in reviews with some lovely single drive bys. 

We begin with a band called "Surf Curse". And it sounds like they're about to curse me with the same regular drivel that every indie band sounds like now. It kind of sounds like a bad edition of the National...

Angel Olsen has a tendency to come off a bit boring to me. This definitely sounds a little more produced. At least they brought her up front more. But she went from being more alternative to...this sounds like OLD COUNTRY? What did I get myself into here? "All the Good Times" actually isn't bad if you like that though.

5 Seconds of Summer is back again with "Take My Hand", which sounds so much better than the last single in my opinion. Complete Mess just didn't grab me from an emotional perspective. This song is stronger lyrically, and has more emotional delivery.

You may remember Olivia O'Brien from that Gnash hit "Hate u Love u" which was more her song anyway. I wasn't prepared to hear a sort of pop/rock song from her on this level. I kind of like the cattiness of this song. I mean what else do you expect from a title "Bitches These Days".

Kehlani is now singing with Justin Bieber. I kind of wanted to hear what this combo sounded like. I do sometimes like Kehlani. The song will probably be a hit but, I think it is a bit weak and forgettable. I think Justin's verse took away from the song actually.

Until today I didn't know Karley Scott Collins, but "Tattoos" makes me want to know so much more. The lyrics are cutting, she gets emotional grit in her voice. Almost makes me think of the rawness of First Aid Kit.

I liked Supernova from Caitlyn Smith, so I am very interested in her future endeavor. "Dreamin's Free" is not quite Supernova level but the lyricism is still very solid. Keeps me interested in the future.

Shawn Mendes is back. "When You're Gone"...well it sounds like a typical Shawn Mendes song. If liked Wonder you will probably like this. I am not a big fan of his. It sounds as unexciting as his other music to me.

Miraa May is also someone I don't know. "Wild Things" sounds like a Doja Cat beat taken for a pop song of a girl who doesn't know what to do with it...

Oh yes Nightly is back. I weirdly like this little indie alternative demonstration. They haven't exactly gotten a big break, but they're in a similar vein to the 1975. Except they don't distort their vocalist as much. If you like this sort of thing, do give them a try. I am glad to see they haven't changed their sound at all. "I Hate My Favorite Band" is just so...real. Like you broke up with someone and you never want to hear your song again.

Lastly, Harry Styles is back. I wanted to see what direction he went with. I liked his debut album. I did not find Fine Line near as good or memorable, but it was his big commercial success, so I feared that this would be the sound he continued with. I am not sure what to make of this lead single. It sounds like a weird combination of both albums. I actually love the lyricism returning. It was the huge weakness of Fine Line, but a strength of his debut. It shows potential and I will take a listen to future singles to see if this is a one off or this is the direction. If you were looking for Fine Line, this is actually NOT Fine Line. 

See you next time. 

Comments