NEW RELEASE: A Study of the Human Experience Volume One - GAYLE

 By now you have probably heard it. Splashed on both regular and alternative radio has come the latest 17 year old to be called an industry plant. Gayle. Notorious yet seemingly beloved for hit ABCEDFU, that shows the staunch profound lyricism of a preteen trying to explore their inner angst phase and looking less mature than intended. Now don't get me wrong, I like a good I hate you forever now song. I like some teenage angst. But it does not usually sound this utterly...grating. Immature. As a joke I have reworded the song into a direct insult to the song itself.

Nevertheless, we'd be lying to ourselves to ignore her and think there was nothing more to see. She is young and many young artists come and go. I'd like to personally hear if there was any potential I missed. I am going to spare my ears on everyone's behalf.

We start with "Luv Starved", and my first thought is maybe GAYLE needs some...schooling on beats per minute? Oh and we're doing the same boring anthemic chorus. Okay. Try to make another of the same hit. Good going.

I think if you cannot figure out how I felt about the real single from my prologue above, I didn't express enough how much I dislike this wannabe angsty anthemic track.

"Sleeping With My Friends" actually shows some potential. I am not super into those talk-sing cadences usually. The track isn't terrible. I still don't like it enough to come back. But it actually isn't just irritating.

...ah yes. Remind me she is a teenager by choosing a song title "ur just horny." Honestly it isn't that bad but I am convinced she doesn't know how to actually write a hook or chorus at this point. 

"E-z" includes Blu DeTiger and UPSAHL. I'd be lying if I said I knew who either of these people are. None of them could make this a good song.

I was shocked when the closer "Kiddie Pool" came on. It actually shows she knows how to write something. A much better song than any of the others. The lyrics still need some work but after listening to the rest of the dumpster fire, this is like finding a Little Lies in a bad Lil Peep album. 

Lyrics: 5/10 - She is young and has potential if she can expand more. There's writing Sour that reflects all the different stages of emotional grief after the loss of a romance and then there's writing the same song 6 different times. Which is kind of what GAYLE did. If you liked her single, you'll like the EP. But you will wonder if she's a one trick pony.

Music: 3/10 - I want to sit and discuss songwriting with her. I mean I am no wizard myself but, someone teach this child how to write a hook. Please. This is painful.

Overall: 3/10 - If you like her vibe, this is good. I think Kiddie Pool shows heaps of potential. I think it is a sign she needs to sit in a room and have some people tell her what the BEST version of that emotional track is. Because all the songs say the same thing, but to me, Kiddie Pool said it strongest and most attractively. This song will be different for others but the EPs main issue remains: they're all the same song in a slightly different styling. 

Comments