NEW RELEASE: Tomorrow's Yesterday - Little Boots

 To note, I actually have kept up with Little Boots. She is a sort of electronic/pop artist. I discovered her debut EP which included tracks like "Stuck on Repeat" and "New in Town." She had a good history of upbeat, solid pop tunes. I wanted to take a chance to highlight her new release, especially since it seems no front pages want to. 

The immediate notice for me of this album is the tempo is slower. It seems she focused more on the words themselves than the bombastic beats. "Love the Beginning" touches on struggles of always enjoying things but never being able to fully stick to something. 

"Silver Balloons" is a bit more vague but seems to touch upon connections strained and trying to hold on to memories, while also realizing sometimes the best things are broken and left to the past.

I cannot think of what song it is, but "Landline" makes me think of an older song. It sounds like a mix of soul and Fleetwood Mac. I kind of don't enjoy it as much.

"Back to Mine" is also making me think of another song. This is going to drive me mad by the end. But usually this sort of thing irks me. I like when I hear an artist to hear "them" and not 5 other people.

"Crying on the Inside" brings me back to her more than another song directly. I think this song holds up better than the others so far. This and Silver Balloons standing out to me.

"Heavenly" sounds individual but I don't really like it. The melody mismatches the instrumental to me and it keeps taking me out.

"Deborah" feels like disco filler, and so does the next track "Out (Out)". I feel like the issue with this though since she chose a mellower sound, the lack of lyricism makes this harder to remember.

"Want You Back" is stronger lyrically, but I don't really like the melody and instrumental fitting together in this again. 

"Nothing Ever Changes" is unique since this album feels like a bit of a change in places, but also the instrumental here irritates me a little.

Why does the closing track "Tomorrow's Yesterday" feel like some wannabe Elton John song...? Just because you're going to tour with ABBA does not mean you have to borrow sounds.

Lyrics: 5/10 - Some songs show strength in comparison to her previous efforts, while others fell flat.

Music: 6/10 - Her instrumentals at times are still quite infectious. They felt lacking in originality this time however.

Overall: 5/10. A bit disappointed in this effort. I feel like she's trying too hard to sound like something retro or conventional in pop, when to me she always had a bit of a different thing going for herself. 

Comments