NEW RELEASE: Freewheelin Woman

 Oh yes...Jewel. I think most people know, or I hope you do, that I actually love Jewel. Pieces of You is a desert island topper for me. The biting notes of Daddy, the cutting story of Little Sister, or the heartbreak of Foolish Games was enough to entrap me. 

I have heard every Jewel album up to this point. I will certainly say Jewel is past her prime from a writing perspective. I do admit I miss her older style. Not sonically, because Jewel is not defined in the realm of genre. She truly has been a musical gypsy, following whatever whim she desired at the time that fit the emotions right. I miss the biting lyrics. The controversial takes she said without a wince. The blatant genius within the choice of 0304 as an album. But here we have come full circle. Bob Dylan helped her early on in her career, and titling her album "Freewheelin' Woman" immediately reminded me of this upstart. It is, however, not as closely aligned to Dylan. She was this time inspired by soul music. 

I have never felt my heart sink more with every single to this album. Jewel is an artistic inspiration for me as a budding lyricist. I certainly do not take such a listen lightly. 

We start with "Long Way 'Round", which gives a sort of southern vibe to it, but with soul mixed in. I never thought I'd question Jewel's choice of inflections, but many parts felt so forced. The horns don't work with her voice very well. 

"Dancing Slow" is the better of the singles, it sounds more like a sound I would expect from her. I am not sure I enjoy the Train feature on it.

"Alibis" had potential but the way it repeats is really just...annoying rather than adding anything to it. I never imagined I would ever call Jewel annoying...

"Grateful" comes off a bit grating, and I feel again she is forcing a soulful sound that isn't there.

"Half Life" is the first track that really sounds like Jewel to me. Lyrically it is okay. I personally take it as a breath because the first half of this thus far has been difficult to swallow.

"Almost" made me feel a bit emotional. It seems despite all her attempts she did find a way to tap some back into Pieces of You. The simplistic nature, the raw sound, the lyricism being so cutting. This is why I listen to Jewel. 

"Dance Sing Laugh Love" sounds way too rushed for comfort. I am surprised it left the cutting room. It sounds like a rough demo take melodically.

"Living With Your Memory" seems like maybe she found a groove a little. It is definitely better of the soulful tracks. It sounds more authentic and real, rather than forced.

"No More Tears" includes Darius Rucker, and I haven't quite decided how I feel about this one. I feel like Darius kind of outdid her in the track, but this is more his vein than hers. 

"When You Loved Me" goes back to what I am used to from her. I wish the album had more cuts like this. This is what makes Jewel. This is authentic. It is raw, and she doesn't care how she sounds so much. 

"Love Wins" instrumentally doesn't go with her vocal styling much at all. It comes off kind of irritating.

The album closes with "Nothing But Love", and it is a decent closer to the themes of the album. I think it is one of the better songs despite still struggling to stay afloat.

Lyrics: 6/10 - I am a fan of Jewel lyricism, but not a whole lot cut the same way here.

Music: 3/10 - Musically this album is a disaster. Not everyone should do soul, and many of these songs suffer because she tried too hard to force a soulful sound into them. 

Overall: 4/10 - If you love Jewel for any of her previous sounds, you may want to skip this one. It is very messy. There are signs of the real Jewel still there, but overall, this is by far the worst thing I have listened to her put out. It pains me to even write that. Gotta go hug my Pieces of You now...

Comments