RSD 2022: ABC - The Jackson 5

The Jacksons grew to be one of America's most iconic musical families. Likely at some point you heard Michael, Janet, Jermaine, or La Toya. Maybe, you heard a catchy familiar tune as well. ABC, not just the song but the album itself, is the sophomore effort of the Jackson 5. It peaked at number 4 on the billboard 200 chart, and is still considered one of the most notable albums. Even moreso, it is the Jackson 5 album most people remember. 

The album begins with "The Love You Save", which isn't bad. I don't think at that time Michael's vocals could reach what they needed to in control to properly handle the song. Jermaine's voice fit it better, and I think it may have been better with him as a lead.

"One More Chance" has great lyrics and Michael handles the song better here. It is a sweet song pleading for another chance at love.

"ABC" has possibly been used all over, movies, commercials... You have probably heard this song. It is probably the most famed Jackson 5 song. I think because of that, the song grates me a bit. It is definitely overplayed.

"2-4-6-8" starts out with an amazing guitar riff. I really think the downside to the album is how immature Michael's voice is here. There are times his voice is too underdeveloped to handle the song properly. This is another one where I hear it more prominently, despite the song itself being good on its own.

"(Come 'Round Here) I'm The One You Need" has infectious harmonies that makes you just want to sing along. Very good energy with this one.

At this time, Michael doesn't have the vocal capability to handle the strength of "Don't Know Why I Love You". I would have loved to hear this with his mature vocals, as I know he could've handled it well. But in parts here, it sounds more as if he is shouting.

"Never Had a Dream Come True" did not really grab me personally. The song is written nicely but their performance just did not add much to me.

"True Love Can Be Beautiful" highlights where a young voice can add innocence and emotion in places some adult voices cannot. This song is done so well, and it makes it feel cute and whimsical.

"La La (Means I Love You)" has some technical difficulties again. The pace was difficult for him and it showed here.

"I'll Bet You" is done fantastically. I wish they offered more solos to the other boys along with Michael. Their voices are very capable. 

"I Found That Girl" is solid. It is a reminder, the other guys SHOULD be allowed to sing...

The album closes with "The Young Folks", which was handled quite well too. It is a solid closer for an album involving a lot of "young folks".

Lyrics: 7/10 - The lyricism is solid and many of the songs are cute and simple, or have the right amount of emotion.

Music: 6/10 - Melodically, Michael at his tender young age could not handle all these songs and I wish they would have passed them on to some of the more mature vocalists in the group. Nevertheless, the music was often solid but not quite unheard in the Motown sphere. 

Overall: 6/10 - It is a solid album. Those wanting to know the early history of their favorite family should definitely grab a copy. It is certainly a piece of their history. 

Comments