NEW RELEASE: 90s American Superstar - Wallice

 Imagine dropping out of the school of jazz to go indie, well this is part of the story for songwriter Wallice. Her new EP is meant to showcase what it meant to go home and work on her talents away from the schooling. Despite loving the Holiday's and Gilberto's of the world, she is also inspired by Weezer and Lana Del Rey. I cannot help but be interested in how exactly this world comes together.

The EP begins with "Little League", which has a sort of 80s indie Mitski style but the song doesn't hit super hard. I think a lot may find it relatable, but it feels a bit forgettable in the 20 other indie pop tracks about struggling with being too competitive.

"90s American Superstar" is giving me a bit of 90s alternative Juliana Hatfield with pop senses. It makes it a different sound, but the lyrics don't interest me much. I kind of find indie to sometimes have a problem with being too monotone. Her voice seems emotionless, and like she is bored with her own stuff.

"Rich Wallice" just comes off shallow and pretentious in a lot of ways.

"John Wayne" gets back to the indie/alt sensibilities. I think she pulls this off a little better than the pop actually. I think thus far this is the best song, it isn't so lost in monotone sameness. 

"Funeral" is the closer and gets kind of lost in production. The hook catches my ear well though.

Lyrics: 4/10 - I was hoping for a bit more lyricism.

Music: 4/10 - The problem with much indie pop is it sounds very similar, but I have heard many do this styling stronger.

Overall: 4/10 - It isn't terrible if you enjoy some background indie pop music. It does not grab me at all. Very forgettable and lacking in emotional passion. 

Comments