NEW RELEASE: And Those Who Were Seen Dancing - Tess Parks

 I once more have chosen an artist I know nothing about. Her bio suggests she is another Toronto-based singer, known for a dreamy lo-fi alternative.

Upon playing the first track, the first thing I thought of was Vanessa Carlton's independent work. That's a compliment, I have Liberman on vinyl. "WOW" gives a very ethereal vibe you can just get lost in. Her vocals are a little drowned in places.

This track feels like she is combining some of my favorite 90s indie girl lyricism with the ethereal vibes of Vanessa Carlton and I want to hug its existence. Does "Suzy and Sally's Eternal Return" make a lot of direct sense? I mean no. But it sounds like a stream of consciousness straight out of Exile from Guyville. 

"Happy Birthday Forever" takes some of the musicality of the other two songs to a more produced sound, which sounds a bit dissonant. At the same time, I think it actually matches the point she is trying to get across. Chaos for artistry? Sign me up.

"We are the Music Makers and We are the Dreamers of Dream" is so infectious. It almost feels like a Patti Smith folksy styling and I am falling in love with this album.

"Brexit at Tiffany's" is now like a Patti Smith monologue and I love this passion project. This song is such a rant.

"Old Life" feels a fitting slight upper from the dark pessimism of the last song. 

"Do You Pray?" uses lyrically two traditional style songs. She said she was inspired after someone asked if she prayed, which the answer she said was yes, all the time. Very cool way to do this.

"Good Morning Glory" feels like a lost ode to greeting life.

"I See Angels" matches the album up as well. It seems a bit more introspective. 

The album closes with a more up front "Saint Michael", that draws such a picture. It perhaps even touches in her time of painting instead of writing. 

Lyrics: 8/10 - I enjoy the streams of consciousness. I welcome their feelings. 

Music: 7/10 - I personally enjoy the sound. There are times her voice gets almost entirely lost in her effects. And there are times I could easily see someone finding this album too one note musically.

Overall: 8/10 - I don't know about you but I am finding somewhere to order it. 

Comments