NEW RELEASE - Drive-by Singles

 To close out an evening of exciting music I do not even have all the time to get to (for other main releases, see Jack Harlow, Arcade Fire, Ella Mai, Belle & Sebastian), I want to get to some stand alone tracks for your viewing. You know, the Taylor's Version of This Love is upon us. 

Lady Gaga returns with a song for the new Top Gun soundtrack called "Hold My Hand". The start of this song is ridiculous. It is an okay ballad. I have definitely heard better or more powerful things from her.

Doja Cat also has a soundtrack song for us, this being the "Elvis" soundtrack. "Vegas" is an interestingly sampled track but I don't really like it too well.

Tove Lo returns with "No One Dies From Love". It has a captivating music video but the song itself is quite forgettable. Tove has a tendency to be very hit and miss so, this is a bit of a miss. If it came on I wouldn't need to change the channel, but it isn't a memorable hit either. 

So to speak of 1989, which until Lover existed was not exactly my #1 Taylor Swift album, This Love was one of the solid tracks that reminded me her writing skills were definitely still there. I was hoping perhaps the scaled back production of the re-recordings may actually benefit 1989, which I found to have overproduced her so much she sounded drastically different live. The production has GREATLY benefitted this track. Her voice is pulled out of being drowned in a background. The drum is stronger carrying the track. It sounds better than the original, and that doesn't easily come out of my mouth for these re-records. 

Carly Rae Jepsen also returns with "Western Wind". Her last album was a huge miss for me, so I am hoping to be more into this track. However...it did not grab me at all. 

DNCE is also returning with "Move". In case you forgot this little number, this is the poppy "Cake by the Ocean" group created by Joe Jonas. It is not a bad track. It kind of sounds like every other new Jonas Brothers song though.

Willow is getting around. Another collaboration, this time with Yungblud. I loved "Weird!" as an album but so far the singles he has released since have sounded very try hard. However, Memories is actually a solid track. Hopefully it continues in a positive direction.

Mothica has a collaboration with AU/RA in "Last Cigarette". I enjoy both artists so this was a cool collaboration to see. It is very solid. Sounds like a good mixture of both their sounds. Mothica is a little more alternative and AU/RA a bit more pop. 

See you nextttt timmeeee....next week is Florence + The Machine and Kendrick Lamar. Unless someone postpones. THEY BETTER NOT! 

Comments