NEW RELEASE: Drive-by Singles

 Alright, let's see what the rest has to show for.

Rina Sawayama is back with "This Hell". I personally loved her last release Sawayama, so I was hoping for something as good. This song is not as unique as some of the pieces of Sawayama, and also seems to carry on some of trends created by Montero. That's a smidge annoying. I hope the other singles are better.

I was not super into Conan Gray's debut work, but I have been loving the singles for Superache. It is making me contemplate getting myself a copy. The ballads have been so meaningful. They're not perfect sonically, but he makes up for it in emotion. "Yours" is up there with People Watching to me.

Oliver Tree just refuses to quit obviously. "I Hate You" sounds like he is shifting away from the weird country-ish thing he just did. If you like following his weird antics, I guess hit play.

Em Beihold has found some success with her single "Numb Little Bug", and I like her voice a lot. I am really liking her openly honest lyricism. "Too Precious" definitely keeps on trend. She is almost taking Olivia's open book vibe and doing it with less flowery language. I recommend checking her out.

Palaye Royale is returning with single "Broken". I don't always like their tracks, but this is definitely an easily accessible track. A good balance of being radio friendly but meaningful still. 

Hayley Kiyoko is also back, and I am assuming her talking about "For the Girls" is another track catering to her being called the "Lesbian Jesus" by her fanbase. Definitely a lot poppier than I remember her other stuff being. She has some very solid tracks actually, but I don't like this sound on her. I prefer "This Side of Paradise" or "Palace". 

These are the singles I grabbed this week. I will see you again next time. 



Comments