NEW RELEASE: Loner - Alison Wonderland

 Okay we are really burning candles tonight. I went into this thinking nothing was coming this week and was sorely mistaken but hey. It has given me such interesting work tonight. 

I only know a few single offs from Alison Wonderland, who is more of an electropop/indie style artist. Nevertheless they were enjoyable to an extent, so I want to try this release as well. 

"Forever" is the starter track. I kind of find the EDM drops to be a bit taking away from the track. This happens with some of her stuff to me though.

"Safe Life" is a much more cohesive and less dissonant track. The drops fit the chaos of the lyrics more. 

"Fuck U Love U" has too much of that similar dissimilar drop in Forever.

"New Day" is a solid track for what it is. It doesn't grab me as much but it is done well.

"I'm Doing Great Now, Thanks" is an instrumental interlude, but I wish she used more of this beat styling in the first half of the album.

With "Something Real" it is like she heard me and in fact carried the softer beat.

"Eyes Closed" is kind of bizarre noise. Not interested at all.

"Bad Things" went back to the softer nature of "Something Real", but is not as emotionally captivating. 

"Thirst" falls into a bit of the hyperpop vocal distortions that irritate me mostly.

"Cocaine" is such a catty song and I enjoy it. She went OFF on whoever this is about.

"Fear of Dying" has some of the stronger lyricism of the album. It definitely stands out as a more emotional track.

The album closes with "Loner", which seems to be an acceptance of everything. 

Lyrics: 5/10 - While some tracks stood out, it seems she leaned quite a bit into beat drops and sonic noises than focusing too much on this aspect. Some of it did not stand up much at all. However, the more lyrically focused tracks are quite strong.

Music: 5/10 - Some ideas worked, other drops took away from the tracks or became too grating.

Overall: 5/10. I would stream the good songs and leave the rest to fall into the pit that is much of EDM house music. 

Comments