NEW RELEASE: Misery Made Me - Silverstein

 Did you miss the early 2000s emo music scene? Well this line-up straight from Canada has your back. Silverstein. While having been active since the 2000s original scene, they do not get near as much coverage as others. Got to see how their new release holds up. 

The album begins with "Our Song", not related at all to the Taylor version. They give off a bit of a Rise Against sound mixed with All Time Low. The hook is a little weak but the verses hold it up decently.

"Die Alone" has a bit too much dissonance musically. It gets too into the hardcore "screamo" side of emo.

"Ultraviolet" has a nice sound and fits the mold, but I feel unsure of what the message refers to. What is the ultraviolet he is lost in?

I like "Cold Blood", but Trevor Daniel's piece kind of takes me out of the song. I realize having that sort of sound mixed in is the trend now but I don't enjoy it much.

"It's Over" is the first song that I genuinely like. The melody is good. It follows a more "Pierce the Veil" vibe in having a screamo section that doesn't take away from the main track.

"The Altar/Mary" is not bad for a screamo sound, but it is not my favorite because of the sound in particular. But I do think the angry sound fits what they were doing. 

"Slow Motion" is not bad. Certainly emotionally angsty. A little vague lyrically. I think I was just waiting for that thing to just really send it home.

"Don't Wait Up" sounds like the better, stronger version of Slow Motion. It has what was missing and hits harder. 

"Bankrupt" has a lot of angst but I feel its problem is being too blunt lyrically. It feels a bit not thought out. Less fitting in the emo genre and more fitting to punk actually. 

"Live Like This" feels like a sensible accessible single, but it lacks the power of some of the other lyricisms existing on the album.

The album closes with "Misery", the only ballad existing. It feels a good closer that wraps up a lot of anger and frustration.

Lyrics: 7/10 - It definitely feels they have some things to say. At times they were too blunt and other times too vague. They need a bit more of a balanced approached to some of their tracks.

Music: 5/10 - It is not at all particularly new to the emo/screamo scene but if you enjoy the sound, you will feel mostly at home here.

Overall: 6/10 - A solid album for what it is. I would like some harder hitting tracks, and I think some of my disdain for what the scene has kind of turned into jades some of my feelings toward some tracks. It is a solid listen to try if you're into the genre. It fits at home. I just think others have done this album with a bit more emotional punches. 


Comments