NEW RELEASE: Denim & Rhinestones - Carrie Underwood

Alright, admittedly I usually enjoy Carrie Underwood's music. Some Hearts is a solid release. My personal favorite is Carnival Ride, and I hope at some point I can enjoy the full release on vinyl. Nevertheless, I have been clued in on the singles to this new album and not a single one has impressed me. I go in with pretty low expectations for this release. 

The album begins with single "Denim and Rhinestones". It has a bit too much of a pop element under it. She sounds a little rushed. The chorus has no appeal.

"Velvet Heartbreak" starts off feeling like a typical GOOD Carrie Underwood. However, they choose this almost talk-singing melody that just takes away from the song. It sounds off. I am disappointed here.

This album is suffering from too fast of a pace. Carrie has a nice gentle voice that carries better with less tempo. "Ghost Stories" is suffering from the same flaws of the earlier tracks.

"Hate My Heart" is a bit too forced with the twang. It is like you can hear her forcing it...

"Burn" is the first song that has stuck out to me as decent at all. I still don't like the beat as much, but it is stronger than other pieces. She isn't totally drowning in the tempo.

"Crazy Angels" doesn't grab me lyrically, but it is probably the first song that doesn't sound off or too fast to me for her.

"Faster" sounds like a pop song. Is this where we are going? She doesn't fit this at all...

"Pink Champagne" is obviously meant to be a good country/pop song but it has no emotional push to grab me. This is such a flat Underwood album on the emotional front.

"Wanted Woman" is a pop song officially. No one tell me this is country remotely. I have decided Carrie Underwood was not meant to do pure pop music. It does not fit her at all.

"Poor Everybody Else" had good potential to be another Last Name of sorts. I never want a distortion put on her voice again.

"She Don't Know" is the first real Carrie Underwood song on this album. It is a song I can return to. It has some delivery too. 

"Garden" isn't a bad song, but it feels kind of weird. It doesn't fit on the album. The rest of the album discusses love and romance. This is like a thought provoking track.

Lyrics: 6/10 - It is pretty generic on the country lyrics front. Nothing horrible but nothing outstanding either.

Music: 2/10 - The downfall of this album is too fast of tempos and the pop transition that did not need to happen. It just doesn't work with her voice.

Overall: 4/10 - To be honest this is the worst Carrie Underwood I have listened to. It pains me to say that, as until now I liked a little something from every album she's ever released. 

Comments