NEW RELEASE: Single Drive-bys

 If you did not know what has kept me up this late evening, it was the anticipation realizing we got a new Taylor Swift song one way or another. But first we have some others.

First Aid Kit returns and I might cry. I mean literally. "Angel" sounds like their debut. I am not kidding. I've been screaming for something raw and real like their debut from them since they shifted to a bit more pop in production. The lyrics are somewhat scathing too. It feels like it has a balance that was missing from the other mixes. 

Going from first aid kit to...whatever Cobrah is...quite the switch flip. This sounds like Die Antwoord. If you are into that, Cobrah is cool. I am, however, not into that...

Sophie Cates has a track called "Nasty", and it isn't too bad. It sort of fades into the pop oblivion. I wish it had something to really make it kick.

WILLOW is back again, with "Maybe It's My Fault", I'm not using her weird symbols. It actually isn't a bad song though. I've been impressed with her newer work. I wonder if she can make the next album of this, even more solid than the debut.

Carolina is here! And it is actually more beautiful than I even expected. The haunting vocals. It lives beyond the movie itself. I love that. If Taylor stays in this Folklore/Evermore vein of writing and never strays again I would die happily with every other album she makes.

We switch to Noah Cyrus returning. "Ready to Go" isn't too bad. I just have never been able to be captivated by her. I wish I could. It isn't a terrible song, it just doesn't grab me still.

Meghan Trainor is finally finding her way back, with Teddy Swims on the track. "Bad For Me" returns to the more soulful "Love You Like I'm Gonna Lose You" sound. I am not as into it as I usually am her pop upbeat tracks. Frankly, the lyrics are just a little on the cringe side but she sings it well. 

So my ears shift to "Twinkle Twinkle Little Bitch" and it seems so ridiculous but weirdly I love the attitude of it. I wasn't prepared for it but you know what. I think I actually like it. I also laughed at the same time. Sometimes cringe is cool. 

I cannot not have this discussion without bringing up Beyonce is back. "Break My Soul" is the lead single from her future release, and honestly I love the beat to this track. It is so addictive and infectious. Hearing Beyonce sing against hustle culture is a little weirdly out of touch considering I don't think she knows anything about the struggle. But if you need a musical earworm, this takes the cake. 

Imagine Dragons is back with "Sharks", and I am really not enjoying the sound they've been doing with these singles. Okay, so they are very hit and miss with me anyway. I really haven't solidly enjoyed them since their debut. But this is just not it.

Dylan Conrique a few weeks back had a lovely single I am still liking. "I Miss You (skin to skin)" is actually another solid track. I don't mind well produced compelling ballads. I think people are getting too eager to call a slow emotional song "boring". 

Nessa Barrett is back! One of my favorite new sad singers. She definitely didn't change her tune. "Die First" is another solid melodrama track and I really hope we get a full album from her released on PHYSICALS!

Elley Duhe had "Middle of the Night" with a unique world element to the dramatic pop beat that drew me in. I like how she actually plays with unique instruments. "Pieces" doesn't grab me as much as the original track, but I am so interested in a full body of cohesive work as it sounds like they go together well.

Here is your singles for the week, enjoy!


Comments