NEW RELEASE: Superache - Conan Gray

 Conan is a bit of a mixed bag for me. I admittedly did not enjoy his first EP work, and Kid Krow fell on the boring side to me for the most part. However, the singles leading up to Superache impressed me quite a bit and I was very interested in hearing the final product.

The album begins with "Movies", and it sets a decent theme. The song turns a bit heartwrenching. I am not a big fan of the way he worked the chorus piece in it. Actually interesting enough, the song doesn't really have a single chorus. Not an often used structure in pop. I enjoy the difference.

"People Watching" is by far my favorite single from the album. It is short but captures so much longing and passion.

"Disaster" really captures anxiety well with the melody. I think it gets a bit choppy at times but I can forgive it for matching the element he was going for.

"Best Friend" is a bit of a miss for me. I respect him going for something sonically different, but it doesn't fit him at all.

"Astronomy" is the other big single that made the final cut, and I am glad it did. It is another wrenching track. It reminds me a lot emotionally of "Other Side of the World" by KT Tunstall, a favorite track of mine. 

"Yours" is such a painful "stuck in the friendzone" track and it feels so fitting to hear after Astronomy on the tracklist. 

"Jigsaw" has an almost alternative vibe in the chorus and I love the switch up. Because trying to fit as someone's perfect piece is a lot more chaotic than people think it is.

"Family Line" is a surprisingly deep and dark song on an album. It does create a superache indeed when you have a dysfunctional family and the song captures beautifully the emotional rollercoaster it can be to deal with later.

"Summer Child" is the better edition of Harry Styles most recent vibe. Overall, the song is simple but beautiful.

I feel like I am not giving good solid descriptors of the album tracks, but there's something elegant about the way he put everything together. It is not overproduced. Simple yet grabs you emotionally. Not so overwritten that people cannot relate. "Footnote" is another stunning track to grab you.

"Memories" is a bit choppy, but I feel it fits because the song comes off like a stream of consciousness. Like, well, the exact subject. Memories. Memories come out of nowhere and just kind of sink in.

"The Exit" is a fantastic closer to the themes of this album. While not a linear story, the album is very cohesive thematically. 

Lyrics: 9/10 - Extremely well written emotional pieces outside Best Friend. That song really feels like the main weak point of the album. 

Music: 8/10 - I can from a critical perspective see this album might become a bit one-note to many people. I personally do not mind it. Think of it like Sour, but the upbeat moments are synth-pop driven rather than punky. 

Overall: 9/10 I am finding this on vinyl and I am throwing my money at him. I cannot believe the kid who did not impress me at all made me cry with his sophomore album. No slump for this one.

Comments