NEW RELEASE: Tiu - Of Monsters and Men

 So, I am a little biased. Of Monsters and Men is by far one of my favorite bands of the 2010s timeframe. My Head is an Animal came out in 2012 and is now 10 years old, and if you think I don't have vinyl pressings of the anniversary edition along with the original you're kidding yourself. I managed to snag the boxset for "Beneath the Skin", which is by far one of my favorite albums. Fever Dream took a lighter direction but kept their unique voice and eccentric lyricism, which kept me captivated. I have been eager for something new. While "Tiu" may be an EP more centered around promoting a small documentary around the release of the anniversary of My Head is an Animal, it has some solid tracks. 

The EP begins with "The Visitor", which has a little simpler lyricism but captures emotions so nicely. The music doesn't overpower it.

"This Happiness" suffers just slightly from the vocal choice. He is singing so quietly at times it is hard to understand the lyrics. If you had heavy bass, he'd be drowned out entirely. The lyrics are quite broken and bitter though.

"Lonely Weather" is the main new track, and it reminds me a lot of the deep cuts on Beneath the Skin. Could've been an outtake from it. I love it.

"Destroyer" has been out for a little while now, but the song still stand strong lyrically. I love the musical build up of this one.

The album ends on a reprise sort of "This Happiness", the take retitled the "saddest version". I like this a bit better because it brings the voice out of the instrumental so you can HEAR it. 

Lyrics: 8/10 - It matches their other work, although some of the songs feel a bit shorthanded.

Music: 8/10 - The flaws of the original take of This Happiness cannot be totally ignored. The music also comes off almost too cohesive, which may be the fault of this being a small EP rather than a full release.

Overall: 8/10 - I didn't immediately order this EP on vinyl off their website...

Comments