NEW RELEASE: Twelve Carat Toothache - Post Malone

 So...the same person who said if I heard Rockstar one more time I would rip out my car radio, grew to like Post Malone for some weird reason. Hollywood's Bleeding is such a solid album to me that I own it on vinyl. I cannot speak much for other poorly sung mumble rappers of this day and age. I definitely don't own any Travis Scott or the bunch. I have not been into what singles I have heard after, so I am hoping the album is better than I expect it to be. 

My first thought is happiness that Motley Crew as a song did not make it on the album, because it is a terrible song. 

The album begins with "Reputation", which feels like we left off from Hollywood's Bleeding and its frustrations with fame. The song matches his usual emo styling if you enjoy his usual durges. 

"Cooped Up" is a single and while it isn't bad, I really cannot stand Roddy Rich on the track. 

"Lemon Tree" feels like such a universal feeling for those with poor luck. Wanting something better than the lemons yet it is all you seem to grow.

"Wrapped Around Your Finger" is so...poppy? I mean okay his music has poppier elements. But this is really...poppy. Like almost dance pop. His voice doesn't fit it super well. 

"I Like You (A Happier Song)" includes Doja Cat and they compliment each other okay on the track. It feels a little filler like in the full scope of the album.

"I Cannot Be (A Sadder Song)" makes me think these song titles are a little humorous. The Gunna feature kind of takes away from the song.

"Insane" is your reminder that Post Malone is supposed to be a rapper. Honestly, he isn't as good at doing this as he is the poppier elemented tracks. 

"Love/Hate Letter to Alcohol" is a less covered way to write his own hate letter to himself over addictions and attempting escapism through substance abuse. A solid track.

"Wasting Angels" made me realize maybe Kid Laroi is not a total waste of musicality because they actually sounded really nice here.

"Euthansia" is a short track that is produced well but gets its point across well.

"When I'm Alone" almost sounds like a mid-2000s pop/rock track which is naturally appealing to me. I think this may be my favorite track outside Lemon Tree.

"Waiting for a Miracle" is a short track also. It is interesting how poignant he made these short things. They are the timeline for more of an interlude than anything yet add a lot.

"One Right Now" is with the Weeknd and apparently became the lead single. It honestly sounds kind of out of place now. It isn't a bad track, just odd compared to the rest of the album.

The closer is a sort of acoustic demo of "Euthansia" as a reprise.

Lyrics: 6/10 - It is a Post Malone album. We don't necessarily walk in for profound lyricism, but I do like some of them more than others. I hear a bit of development on some, while I hear a bit of regression in others.

Music: 8/10 - The album is produced very well, but I feel like some of the features hindered the tracks full potential. Secondarily, I think One Right Now and Wrapped Around Your Finger sound out of place. I am assuming Wrapped will be radio fodder in the vein Circles was.

Overall: 7/10 - It doesn't hold up to Hollywood's Bleeding for me, but I still enjoyed it. He stayed in the element he went in with that last album and I think if he continues to develop his pop sensibilities he will remain a stronger hold. 

Comments