NEW RELEASES: DRIVE BY SINGLES

 And we're back to singles before I retreat again

So I have no idea who Broken Bells is. However, "We're Not in Orbit Yet" has actually grabbed my attention. There's the indie reverb yes, but it actually feels like a weird sort of...I feel like I've heard this before, from another generation, while at the same time feeling new enough that it seems fresh. I imagine this is what indie is supposed to be. 

I have no idea who Reve is. I kind of wish I did not know now... "Tongue" made my ears hurt. Literally. The beat is too much for my ears.

We know I absolutely have to listen to something titled "Lesbionic".... To be clear, I have no issue with the concept, but usually something with this name is such a level of pandering with poorly done everything else that it becomes more of a joke. Gia Woods did exactly what I expected. This is ridiculous. Go listen to Conan Gray and Tove Lo. 

Claire Rosinkranz doesn't have a bad voice, I give them that. The song is trying too hard to have that 90s alt girl sound in the vein of Juliana Hatfield, but her lyrics are so pretentious I actually rather slap her than the guy she's complaining about.

I haven't heard much of Siiickbrain outside collaborations with the pop/punk world, so it feels nice to hear them on their own. And I actually like it. If you want a more electronic influenced side of the pop/punk, this is actually pretty good.

Charli XCX and Tiesto got together for a dance track. Hearing the song begin with "It's Charli, Baby" made me want to go the only one who can pull that off is Britney's Gimmie More intro. The song is...not interesting to me.

Did you miss what Meghan Trainor left behind? Did you want the sort of soul singer who can actually properly do the sound? With less attitude and raging self-absorption? "Selfish" by Bow Anderson is covering the bill and I actually enjoy it a lot more.

The Goo Goo Dolls are back! And me with everything they've released, I am naturally excited. I will be frank, if you like anything they've been doing since Magnetic, you'll be fine with the new song. John can still sing. It definitely carries some of that same Miracle Pill vibe but I found it to be a solid album. 

Cardi B is also back. And I will reasonably say, if you like Bodak Yellow or Cardi's regular work you will enjoy "Hot Shit". It is a hundred times better than Up because it actually has...content? I mean whether you like the content or not, but there's actually more to it than "if its up then its up". I hope maybe she scraps the other singles and starts the content of the new album with this.

I just can't seem to understand the new Sabrina Carpenter sound. Like, her first album is so GOOD. I will listen to it 100 times over. I wish they'd make a vinyl of it. Vicious sounds like she's trying to knock off Selena Gomez's sound. The song isn't compelling, and she doesn't have the voice for it. 

That's it for this week. 

Comments