NEW RELEASE: 5SOS5 - 5 Seconds of Summer

 I am eager to get a chance to review a fresh 5 Seconds of Summer release. They have grown a lot from their rather teeny bopper debut. They seemed to come on the scene as the "anti- One Direction" but grew into being respected as artists far beyond that. 

This is also the first album mostly produced by bandmate Michael Clifford. They wrote a majority of the album in lockdown, and it seems to continue their walk into a more pop oriented direction.

The first track and lead single "Complete Mess" comes off rather safe. It is by no means a bad song, it just feels like it lacked something to take it the extra mile.

It shifts to "Easy for You to Say" is a mid-tempo bittersweet track on moving on from love. Definitely stands out better than the first track.

"Bad Omens" sounds a bit different for them. I like the shift. It has more of a soft rock vibe. It does not melodically sound perfect but it really gets across the pain and pleading.

"Me Myself and I" is another heart broken track reverting back to much of their early sound. I really appreciate the way this album is not sounding one note.

"Take My Hand" was a great single. The album version is a bit longer as they added a voice recording outro from Luke when they recorded in Joshua Tree National Park. It honestly added an extra power to the song.

"Carousel" almost sounds like a song that could have been on Luke's solo album. Naturally that means I love it. It discusses the basic craziness of life.

"Older" is a love song that includes Luke's fiancee, Sierra Deaton. Very sweet piano love song. 

I like the instrumental sound of "Haze", but I am not sure I feel very connected to the song. It doesn't have that thing to make me remember it much.

"You Don't Go to Parties Anymore" seems to discuss growing apart, while he stayed immature, the other party stopped coming around.

"Blender" is one of the poppier singles of the album. It reminds me a bit of "Teeth" in structure which I figure is what draws me to it.

We now get to part of the album they must have been hungry. "Caramel" actually refers to the difficulty of seeing a lover again after things are awkward and ended.

"Best Friends" seems to be an ode to the band itself and its very sweet to hear how close they have remained. Sometimes bands grow apart as they get older.

"Bleach" is a heartbroken beg for a new beginning. A lot of the album is fairly cohesive musically, a little softer than their other work. I think I like the laid back approach.

The last song on the STANDARD edition is "Red Line". A song that seems to sum up the back and forth of the love on this album. Finally deciding they're not good for each other.

WE ARE STILL DISCUSSING THE BONUS TRACKS! "Moodswings" should be on the main album as far as I am concerned. A strong emotional track that could break up some of the main album sonically.

"Flatline" is so good. I love how the musicality blends their old and their new so seamlessly. Distortions on the voice are interesting. Calum also gets a solo! 

Oh my god Michael is singing an emo song. His voice sounds like the front of an emo band. I suddenly want Michael Clifford to sing in an emo band. "Emotions" has the right angst.

"Bloodhound" feels so regressive after the three others. Well not every deluxe track can be that much of a banger.

"TEARS!" closes the album and seems to at least compare to the other closer. 

LYRICS: 8/10 - Most of the songs grab me lyrically. Some I wish had a little more depth. 

MUSIC: 8/10 - I feel like they experimented on some tracks and it didn't totally work, but I give credit. I think some of the deluxe tracks really sound great.

OVERALL: 8/10 - Honestly what pains me about this is if they took 2 or 3 of the deluxes songs and switched them to the main album, it would have made this a 10. Some of the songs just sound like they should be relegated to a deluxe instead of what is on the deluxe.

Comments