NEW RELEASE: BORN PINK - Blackpink

 I do occasionally have to touch upon the rising K-pop train in the industry. I think it is here to stay, perhaps not with the intensity of now, but the cultural appreciation.

Blackpink is the girl kpop group with the most leverage here in the US now, so I am taking a stab at this review. 

"Pink Venom" tries doing too much at the same time. It is so all over the place. As if it is 3 to 5 songs in the same song...

I am not sure hearing Blackpink in your area is a compliment considering I have not enjoyed the first two tracks. I think "Shut Down" sounds more in sync than the first song, but nothing special.

"Typa Girl" shows some potential, but the mid song drop just takes you right out of the song.

Blackpink actually kind of sounds better when I cannot understand what they're saying. "Yeah Yeah Yeah" is a decent pop song. Sounds like something you would hear on our radio. 

"Hard to Love" is the first track I feel I would even return to. The vibe sounds more like the previous track and actually has decent lyricism. 

Okay I am liking the shift in this album. "The Happiest Girl" is beautiful. They seem to be capable of writing good music. Not sure what the first 3 songs were.

"Tally" sounds to par with all our popstars over here. A cutesy love song with a rap drop. One that actually doesn't sound out of place! 

The album closes with "Ready for Love", another cutesy pop song.

LYRICS: 5/10 - Okay we do not really have anything special here. But nothing exceptionally bad either. If you like basic pop music structures with interesting beat drops, this will appeal.

MUSIC: 6/10 - I like basic pop music many times. I think some of the drops did not work well but I think they do sound different than other things I've heard. I give them that.

OVERALL: 6/10 - It is not near as bad as I expected from songs 1 through 3. It shifts in the middle and gets a lot stronger. 

Comments