NEW RELEASE: Drive By Singles

 And here we have another full feature of drive bys! 

My first track introduces me to Reggie Becton, who is actually a Maryland based soul singer. Honestly sounds a little in the vein of Ne-Yo, which isn't so bad. Had potential for sure!

I really put myself through a lot for you guys. Tolerating the new Lil Baby song is one of those things... You know what? I need a Detox after this too... Going back to being cold turkey from this person.

Dodie! It has been a while. Dodie is one of youtube origins. Dodie always had a pleasant voice but sometimes her choice of melodic production doesn't grab me. Hot Mess sounds a lot better, almost in the vein of more indie females like Cat Power. 

Louis Tomlinson is back! His new album has been announced for release, if you miss hearing from your quieter One Direction boys. Louis was always my personal favorite actually. "Bigger Than Me" is not at all a huge deviation from his debut album which makes me happy. It has a little poppier than elements, closer to perhaps "Two of Us". 

Seeing Gabrielle Aplin return again is awesome. Call Me didn't grab me totally, but Don't Know What I Want is back to what I am used to from her. 

Charlie Puth is...special sometimes. Like...titling your song "Smells Like Me". Feels like only an egomaniac would think that was a good attractive title. Voicenotes was actually not that bad. It feels like he has been completely lost since. Almost every single from this new future release has been an utter disaster. 

Um. I am surprised Nike approved of Shygirl using their image and tagline this way. I am really not super interested in extremely erotic hyperpop. This is my reminder how painful this subgenre can be.

Pierce the Veil is back! Oh my god every emo band is coming back. SEE MOM IT ISN'T A PHASE! It goes back a little to their harder elements but not so much it isn't accessible. 

Ava Max's new album Diamonds on the Dancefloor may have been pushed back on release date (which I am fairly sure happened to her debut as well) but this single is a great pop hit in the making. I think it sounds a bit stronger than "Maybe You're the Problem" which I think you need a specific mood for.

It is kind of heartbreaking to hear "What I Have" in light of the announcement of Kelsea Ballerini's file for divorce. I really like that this album is leaning back to the good parts of Kelsea and more to the lyrical prowess of Unapologetically. If it keeps up, this may be her best album since.

Matty Healy may be a pretentious jerk, but the 1975 usually makes good tunes. Why does this new single "I'm In Love With You" weirdly make me think of Fleetwood Mac?...

Okay I gotta close out with the new Gorillaz. I mean who doesn't want to see what these guys are doing with Tame Impala and Bootie Brown of all people? Honestly, Tame Impala fits their vibe so well. The album is going to include a feature from STEVIE NICKS. The lead musician may ALSO be a pretentious jerk but, he made one of the most interesting things of the 2000s in this virtual band and their story. 

See you next time.

Comments